Custom Exhaust/Spare Tire

mrmagooo13

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 5.0L AWD
Hey guys,
I'm new around here and I haven't seen a thread pertaining to this, so I figured I'd just throw the idea out there and if someone else has any knowledge about it I'd get pointed in the right direction. I was thinking about getting dual exhaust on my Ex and have seen everyones posts about the issue with room and such. From what I gathered, people say it can be done, but in some cases it would take up the space that is being used by the spare at the moment. I had this idea that perhaps it would be possible to mount the spare on the back hatch like you may see on other SUVs out there, so that you can both have your exhaust and keep the spare. I know that this would raise a few problems including access to the handle to open the door as well as opening only the window itself on the back hatch. Any other feedback or knowledge of anyone building something that makes this possible? Thanks guys/gals,

~Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some members who have opted to go with Dual exhaust made a cover and mount for it inside the cargo area.

I got dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport

One of the big problems with mounting the tire ON the hatch is weight. The hatch goes up but if there is too much weight it wont stay up. Some people have made some Swing-out style bumpers that will hold a spare tire. Some people put them on top the Suv or even inside.
There are some options but the best fit is to leave it where it is. Do some research on the site to see about the dual exhaust and make sure you are confident it will improve your trucks performance before moving things around so much.
Some guys have found better performance just adding a less restrictive single exhaust.

O and welcome to the site!!:D

One of the big problems with mounting the tire ON the hatch is weight. The hatch goes up but if there is too much weight it wont stay up. Some people have made some Swing-out style bumpers that will hold a spare tire. Some people put them on top the Suv or even inside.
There are some options but the best fit is to leave it where it is. Do some research on the site to see about the dual exhaust and make sure you are confident it will improve your trucks performance before moving things around so much.
Some guys have found better performance just adding a less restrictive single exhaust.

O and welcome to the site!!:D

I agree. A less restrictive single exhaust is a very good option.

Drop the rear cats and use 2.5" piping and a 2-in 1-out muffler.

you can theoretically still do a dual setup, just dump them both out on the same side.

IMO
why add weight ( tire carrier-extra muffler and tubing ) for the slight, if any, performance gain? You'd just be back at square one, maybe even a step back.

Why add an ugly spare tire carrier for the dual exhaust appearance?

not to mention, the routing of the pipe will make the driver side pipe about 7 feet longer than the passenger side pipe. This deference in length will sound like crap.

Been there-

one 3" tail pipe will allow the same air flow as 2-2.25" pipes, which is what you have now.

Amen. Which is why I have a single pipe instead of duals. Not to mention my SOHC hates duals lol

IMO
why add weight ( tire carrier-extra muffler and tubing ) for the slight, if any, performance gain? You'd just be back at square one, maybe even a step back.

Why add an ugly spare tire carrier for the dual exhaust appearance?

not to mention, the routing of the pipe will make the driver side pipe about 7 feet longer than the passenger side pipe. This deference in length will sound like crap.

Been there-

one 3" tail pipe will allow the same air flow as 2-2.25" pipes, which is what you have now.

I still got my spare tire underneth my explorer

I still got my spare tire underneth my explorer

Yes Sam, it can be done. You got any pics of this area right here?

I have a stock spare ( 29.5" ) and only had 3/4" between the tire and pipe,
there was about 3/4" between the pipe and fuel line. The protective sleeve on the fuel line had started to deform from the heat.
I am only giving advice from experience. My hard head forced the exhaust guys to route this 3 times, before I believed them that it shouldn't be done.

Attachments

• dual exhaust with spare tight spot.jpg
    dual exhaust with spare tight spot.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 745

jon i got pics but u dont see the spare tire underneth my explorer the pics i took i forgot to show the spare tire but i got some pics of my explorer on

www.cardomain.com/id/sams01xplrsprt

I opted to run duals for looks and sound, As for duals sounding bad :D I loved the sound of mine, it was the meanest beast on the block. Yeah duals are more looks than anything on these trucks. And damn they look good with them.
My spare tire? oh he sat in my garage and went next to my sub box on extended trips

I'll make mine duals when I get to it. I long ago noted that the brake line, fuel vent lines, and diff. vent hose needs to be moved. It's a lot of work for the looks.

I'll make mine duals when I get to it. I long ago noted that the brake line, fuel vent lines, and diff. vent hose needs to be moved. It's a lot of work for the looks.

It can all be bent around, and i could have kept my spare tire on if i wanted to bend some more but i felt the closer to the middle look was nicer.

exhaust.jpg

jon i got pics but u dont see the spare tire underneth my explorer the pics i took i forgot to show the spare tire but i got some pics of my explorer on

www.cardomain.com/id/sams01xplrsprt

get some pictures of underneath or stop saying "i got dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport" in every single thread...first it was funny, now it's just frustrating that you have the setup a lot of people want and just ignore the entire thread when people ask for pics. so once again, please upload some pictures. :rolleyes:

It can all be bent around, and i could have kept my spare tire on if i wanted to bend some more but i felt the closer to the middle look was nicer.

exhaust.jpg

The spare wouldn't fit there-your pipe is within the carrier. To have the spare the pipe would need to go behind it-
tight eh?

i told them i can lose the spare, and that i was getting shackles soon.. so they did this... (these are old i will take some tom w/shackles)

o btw i have a dual chamber- dual in- dual out muffler

The spare wouldn't fit there-your pipe is within the carrier. To have the spare the pipe would need to go behind it-
tight eh?

Oh well when i bent the pipe in my friend's shop i din't care to even try, haha. i went right through where the tire goes. i wanted to do the least extream bands and the elast amount of bending cause i suck at it and aluminized pipe is kinda exspensive.
I liked how it turned out, it was great. I always had good dependable tires on my truck so i din't worry about flats (plus i carried plugs where the jack sits)

i should show you the Y-pipe for my t-bird urgh my second problem is welding lol. When its off the car i'm ok, but on the car i kinda suck.

BTW Mine was a dual in/out magnaflow

I swear you got an, answer for everything.

Yes Sam, it can be done. You got any pics of this area right here?

I have a stock spare ( 29.5" ) and only had 3/4" between the tire and pipe,
there was about 3/4" between the pipe and fuel line. The protective sleeve on the fuel line had started to deform from the heat.
I am only giving advice from experience. My hard head forced the exhaust guys to route this 3 times, before I believed them that it shouldn't be done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back