Custom Flip key remote programming issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom Flip key remote programming issues

Joel_mccr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Explorer
I recently ordered a VW style flip key (switchblade key) off eBay from a reputable seller. It has the key and the keyless remote fob bult into one unit. Upon receiving the key I took it to local locksmith and had the key cut. Lucky since I had two original keys I could program the 3rd using the directions in the owners manual. That part works. The key starts the vehicle with no issues. The part that doesn't work is the keyless entry. I followed the directions in owners manual to program. Making sure doors were electronically unlocked, cycling ignition from run to off eight times, on the eighth time ending in run position and the doors locked and unlocked signaling in programming mode. I pressed a button on the new remote. Nothing. I tried pressing every button one at a time on new remote within the 20 seconds I had. Nothing. Pressed a button on each of the 2 current remotes I have. Doors locked then unlocked signaling remote was programmed and recognized. I contacted the sellers. They gave me the customer service phone number and asked to please call them. I did. They walked me through the same process. With no luck. We confirmed that it had the same FCC ID as my current remote and it is a direct replacment for my vehicle. They then assumed that it must be a bad remote. They overnighted me a new remote for free. New remote, same problem. I have entered programming mode and guess what... You guessed it, vehicle doesn't recognize it. I have also tried battery reset. Disconnected negative battery cable for at least 10 minutes. Then Entering programming mode again. Doors locked and unlocked. Vehicle won't recognize new remote. Any ideas? Can dealership use their computer to teach vehicle new remote when programming mode doesn't work? Any ideas or help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I remember reading about not being able to use US Fobs on non US models..

This came up when I suggested someone try out keys from Artiway on Ebay. All of my flip keys have come from him...

I don't know if where you are so I don't know if this is even a possibility.

~Mark

Been there & done that...

It will never work. Those flip key remotes are NOT COMPATIBLE with our Ex's regardless of what the sellers say. I went round and round with maybe the same seller on ebay after trying to program one to my '08 EB. I actually tried so many times that I ran the battery down!! I took that same remote and it programmed to my wife's '09 Taurus the first try.

I tried again a few weeks ago with our recently purchased '10 Ex and it doesn't program to that one either. They are not compatible with our trucks. On the flip side (No pun intended.) you can program the key with the remote fob head to the Ex. Not quite the same convenience and cool factor as the flip key, but still easier than the separate remote.

FWIW, the flip remote button identifying paint wore off in a matter of about a month. They are cheap Chinese knock-offs again, regardless of what the seller says.

?? Which seller had the one that wore off?

We currently run 2 different style flip keys from Artiway on our 2006 Mustang and the only issue I have with them is the FOB portion isn't water proof. The 2nd time I ran the key/fob combo through the laundry the more flat style died...

I've had the fatter style one for almost 2 years now and the 2nd flat one we got is only a year old now.. Neither is showing signs of the label wearing off.

Back to the explorer.. That sucks that the key/fob combo works on other fords (like the Taurus you tried and the Mustang I've done plus one I helped do (2009 model).

~Mark

I would have to go back and review my purchases to answer that, however I will say they are big on ebay and all they sell are remotes/fobs/keys.

To be honest with you I probably wouldn't advertise their name here (or anywhere) for the simple reason they know these aren't compatible with certain cars but don't care. They game the ebay system to avoid returns. I told them the unit wasn't compatible with the Ex and they just argue that it is and try this and that. The only way to communicate is through ebay's message system so days pass between messages and responses. What they do is drag it out until you're outside the return policy time and then say too bad, we don't have to take it back. They also refuse to pay return shipping even though ebay requires it if the item is defective, damaged or not as advertised.

What I do remember is they continued to list it as compatible with cars they knew it wasn't compatible with.

To be honest with you I probably wouldn't advertise their name here (or anywhere) for the simple reason they know these aren't compatible with certain cars but don't care.

That's why I was asking.. If it is Artiway pulling that crap, I'll have to look for another supplier for flip keys to recommend..

The company I used before was MyKeyless, but their stuff broke pretty easy.. They have since left (or changed names) on ebay..

~Mark

I just file a dispute with ebay and they make the seller take the return and refund shipping.... ebay is all for the buyer... I have had many sellers try this crap and ebay makes it right

I am here to tell you it works.... I just did mine...8 key turn and done.... buttons now work wooohooo...

It will never work. Those flip key remotes are NOT COMPATIBLE with our Ex's regardless of what the sellers say. I went round and round with maybe the same seller on ebay after trying to program one to my '08 EB. I actually tried so many times that I ran the battery down!! I took that same remote and it programmed to my wife's '09 Taurus the first try.

I tried again a few weeks ago with our recently purchased '10 Ex and it doesn't program to that one either. They are not compatible with our trucks. On the flip side (No pun intended.) you can program the key with the remote fob head to the Ex. Not quite the same convenience and cool factor as the flip key, but still easier than the separate remote.

FWIW, the flip remote button identifying paint wore off in a matter of about a month. They are cheap Chinese knock-offs again, regardless of what the seller says.

I am here to tell you it works.... I just did mine...8 key turn and done.... buttons now work wooohooo...

What year explorer and can you link me to the key ?

2011 is a 5th gen... 06-10 is the 4th gen... These are the models people are having problems with the integrated key/fob... I think those keys were options on the 11-15 explorers

I misunderstood

Got my flip key in the mail, don't have it cut yet, but programmed the fob to work in about 30 seconds.

I ordered one (that of course said 06-10 Explorer) but the one I ordered has buttons that resemble our remote fob. I was under the assumption that I put my fob's innards inside this key, so I'm using the OEM fob basically, but when it came I was surprised to find out it's just designed to look like that, and is its own remote.

Opened my drivers door, key on/off 8 times while leaving it in RUN on the 8th cycle, the locks confirmed programming mode, I hit lock and it worked. Heading out now to get it cut and cloned (I don't have a second key, yet) and will post back the results and more info about the one I ordered.

So - Just out of curiosity since I ordered my girlfriend one as well, but the better looking one that looks like the VW style, I tried programming that remote to my Explorer since everybody said it will not work... It worked just fine!

Here are the two fobs I bought. As you can see, the bigger ones buttons resemble our remote fobs, which is why I thought we put our actual remote inside of it.

4561072F-ABFB-4C40-B749-BEB40F4115BB_zpsv9mu2yhf.jpg

I paid about $16 for each of them. Different seller, but same shipping area so it may be the same place shipping them with a different name. The remote on the right has a panic button as well, but its on the side. That fob also has an LED indicator when you press a button which is a nice feature. Overall, that one is my favorite, smaller, feels a bit more weighted (in a good way) and the buttons are alot nicer.

Problem is, NOBODY WILL CUT THEM FOR ME!
Walmart: I asked if they clone or program car keys, since they have a whole rack of transponder keys, kid looked at me like I spoke Chinese. "Uhhhh whuuut?" I said, do you cut/copy car keys? "Uhhh no."

Across to Lowe's: Oh we dont touch those chipped keys, only non-chipped. I said thats fine, cant you just cut it for me though? Oh we dont have that machine, some Lowe's do, but not us. OK.

Called Ace/Aco Hardware: They only touch keys that you buy from them. Of course.

So now im down to finding a locksmith, there are a couple here in Monroe, BUT perfect enough, they all close at or before 5pm. I usually dont get back in town from work until 5 or later. GREAT!

So, for now, I have two nice extra remotes, lol.

So now im down to finding a locksmith, there are a couple here in Monroe, BUT perfect enough, they all close at or before 5pm. I usually dont get back in town from work until 5 or later. GREAT!

I get all my keys cut from a mom and pop hardware store... they tell me if they screw up im sol and I say ok... they dont have any problems cutting keys and taking my $4.99....HEY... just noticed where you are from..... studs hardware on telegraph and annapolis in dearborn heights.... they have cut about 10 RFID keys for me that I supplied.... but I dont know of any key cloning services..... if anyone does it the lock smith on pelham and vanborn in taylor might....

6AACD06B-8548-43C8-AF66-E45BCD28F8C7_zpsdcydpakh.jpg

Totally forgot to post more info, here's the link to the exact one I bought. (If it matters, this key also works with a 2009 Fusion. Gf and I now have the same style flip key for both vehicles)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncut-Rep...n-for-Ford-/281087551901?&txnId=1464997116018

The trunk button does pop the hatch glass open, I wish it didn't though, I never use that feature but I've bumped it on this remote a few times.

Totally forgot to post more info, here's the link to the exact one I bought. (If it matters, this key also works with a 2009 Fusion. Gf and I now have the same style flip key for both vehicles)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncut-Rep...n-for-Ford-/281087551901?&txnId=1464997116018

The trunk button does pop the hatch glass open, I wish it didn't though, I never use that feature but I've bumped it on this remote a few times.

Thanks, gonna order one now. BTW, maybe you could open up the transmitter, and disable the trunk button???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what I was planning on trying, I love the remote, no issues aside from that, and it's because the buttons kind of "bulge out" which makes them easy to press, but the middle button sticks out the farthest being the trunk button. But as for what I've seen complaints about, the blade being loose or anything, ours are perfectly snug and firm. Couldn't recommend it more.

Back