Custom head light build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom head light build

xbreaker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Currently have a build going and just wanted to get thoughts before completion. The low beams have been completely relocated to the turn signal area. They are dual bixenon and will have a switchback turn signal. The portion where the low beams where originally will painted to match the explorer color

10666016_348706245295571_120786893_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty nice! How did you get that glow effect from the LEDs?Like that fluorescent/ clear plastic. I'm trying to do something similar to that but with interior lights.

Looks great! One question though, what are you or anyone else that has opened up the headlights using to reseal them? I would like to open mine up to remove the chrome and tint the amber lens a little.

I'm actually using a custom headlight company. I been going back in messages on the build and seeing what can and can't be done. They are going to send me video when they get a chance on the turn signal.

For the lighting effect they are using their own led strip that I'm not sure they make themselves or not. I'm thinking if you really wanted it they would sell the strips.

For the seal I read on forums that you can get the same stuff that car manufactures uses.

Looking good. What are you going to do with the void where the low beams were?

Looks great! One question though, what are you or anyone else that has opened up the headlights using to reseal them? I would like to open mine up to remove the chrome and tint the amber lens a little.

The DIY vids say to be careful with heating/removal and when resealing, you are using the same glue that was on the lights.
Its reheated and resealed.

I'll be interested to see how this looks once its installed, and the lower portion covered / painted. Keep us updated, xbreaker!

excited to see what this looks like when completed

I'm actually using a custom headlight company. I been going back in messages on the build and seeing what can and can't be done. They are going to send me video when they get a chance on the turn signal.

For the lighting effect they are using their own led strip that I'm not sure they make themselves or not. I'm thinking if you really wanted it they would sell the strips.

For the seal I read on forums that you can get the same stuff that car manufactures uses.

Using a custom headlight company? What do you mean? Do you work for them or using their custom parts to make your own custom build?

Whatever the case, it's looking good so far.

By custom head light company I meant that it's a company that do custom work for clients. Basically whatever you want done if it is possible. They do quality work. Any way just got my head lights in. Took some pics of it still wrapped up, hopefully will be able to get this on tomorrow.

20141003_204456_Richtone_HDR.jpg

20141003_204522_Richtone_HDR.jpg

20141003_204738_Richtone_HDR.jpg

The bottom part was painted to match my explorer. In case anyone was wondering these are dual halo, quad projectors. So both set of projectors are bixenon. The strip on top of the halo is just a regular solid "led" light, i guess if you can call it led. It has a similar look to bmw. The bottom white strip is an amber turn signal, so when the blinker goes on the top led bar shuts off and than an amber sequential led bar on the bottom turns on. Best part is basically everything plugs back into the stock harnesses. Only thing extra is a ground wire and another that goes to the fuse box.

cant wait!!! post asap when u have them on

Subscribed as I want to see too!

Awaiting installed pics/vids as well

get it on yet xbreaker?

That's one of the cleanest headlight mods I've seen so far. I'm most curious about dividing line between the painted portion of the lens and the bumper. I'm sure it's less visible on the tuxedo blacks.

If these headlights look good and are made available, I would personally have to consider a fiberglass body mod to extend the bumper up and cover the painted portion of the light, just to make it look more OE.

Hey guys, I was unable to put them on yesterday. It was down pouring all day so monday Ill be taking it in to get installed, crossing fingers.

shadow, im curious too on it would look against the bumper installed. fiber glass on the head light though i think would have been difficult to to smooth down where the line meets the actual lens.

xbreaker, if you want to DIY the install let me know and I would be happy to help. I replaced my headlights with dynamic illu51ons custom build (in the stickies). Send me a PM and Ill give you my cell. Having two people to help hold/position the bumper is recommended.

Here are some pics installed, looks clean!

20141006_171632.jpg

20141006_171653.jpg

20141006_171643.jpg

dentalpain Im going to take you up on your offer because I need to send the left head light back because the turn signal is out of sequence and they left an orange bulb in there. I ended up going to a shop though to get everything wired so Im planning to put the stock back for now and have everything just there in the mean time while they can try and help me sort out stuff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it the camera or is the color a little off?

Back