• Register Today It's free!

Custom Hood Scoops

MrWickd

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Just curious if there is a company out there that makes a hood with scoop for an Explorer, particularly the 5th gen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The site I checked seem to stop at the 2010 model year. There are plenty of aftermarket 'fake' scoops or ones that require hood modification but no custom hoods for the 5th gen that I have been able to find.

Peter

The site I checked seem to stop at the 2010 model year. There are plenty of aftermarket 'fake' scoops or ones that require hood modification but no custom hoods for the 5th gen that I have been able to find.

Peter

Bummer. Not trying to get some cheap hood with a non functional air scoop. Seems everything stopped around that time, lift kits & what not

Here are pictures of my hood on my 14' Explorer. Hood is by AmeriHood.
Fit and finish are top grade and underneath is the same clean gelcoated finish. All factory parts fit perfect, washers, latch and hinges.
Super clean! I also just picked up their first hood they made for my 17' Sport. Still has to go to the paint shop for fit and paint.

20210521_182727.jpg 20210521_182804.jpg 20211016_201121.jpg 20200726_135748.jpg

Attachments

• 20210521_182727.jpg
    20210521_182727.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210521_182804.jpg
    20210521_182804.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 63
  • 20211016_201121.jpg
    20211016_201121.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 73

Looks good. There is another member that has a similar modification.

Peter

Looks good. There is another member that has a similar modification.

Peter
Thanks, I have never come across another Explorer with one on it. I always get asked where I got it.

Not sure why people use this hood, but I try not to judge too much. I'm very performance-oriented, so I completely understand the desire for a scoop, however, the stock hood weighs only 19lbs and this fiberglass hood weighs significantly more than that. Short of a true CF hood (most CF hoods aren't full CF, either btw), you're not gettin much lighter than that. Any performance gain you might be getting from this scoop (doubt it helps much, tbh) is negated by the weight you just added to the vehicle.

I've installed a heat extractor on mine, much more of a performance benefit and didn't add a single pound:

20210201_100422.jpg

Not sure why people use this hood, but I try not to judge too much. I'm very performance-oriented, so I completely understand the desire for a scoop, however, the stock hood weighs only 19lbs and this fiberglass hood weighs significantly more than that. Short of a true CF hood (most CF hoods aren't full CF, either btw), you're not gettin much lighter than that. Any performance gain you might be getting from this scoop (doubt it helps much, tbh) is negated by the weight you just added to the vehicle.

I've installed a heat extractor on mine, much more of a performance benefit and didn't add a single pound:

View attachment 422626
My fiberglass hood is definitely lighter then the stock hood and i guarantee the ram air forcing cool air into the cold air intake would improve performance over the heat extractor. All you need to do is from in drop in a lower free flow thermostat. Your extraction hood looks good but I'll stick with my Ram Air Hood.

View attachment 422626
I have a Carbon Creations carbon fiber GT500 hood on my 2011 Mustang GT and it feels like it actually added weight. I didn't get a measure of weight between the two hoods so unless the weight was shifted more toward the front, it added weight. I will say it does allow much more airflow through my engine bay and provides ambient temps to my intake.

My car stock's dry weight is 3605 (no fluids). Last time I weighed it with full interior was 3495 with 1/4 gas and the 8 qts of oil. That's on 20x10s and 275/35 up front and 315/30 in the rear.

How much have you gotten your X down to? I know you had shaved off an significant amount of weight so far. I'm plan to weigh mine soon when I get these 22" Edge sport wheels on it and I have put about 120~ sqft of sound dampening in it.

I have a Carbon Creations carbon fiber GT500 hood on my 2011 Mustang GT and it feels like it actually added weight. I didn't get a measure of weight between the two hoods so unless the weight was shifted more toward the front, it added weight. I will say it does allow much more airflow through my engine bay and provides ambient temps to my intake.

My car stock's dry weight is 3605 (no fluids). Last time I weighed it with full interior was 3495 with 1/4 gas and the 8 qts of oil. That's on 20x10s and 275/35 up front and 315/30 in the rear.

How much have you gotten your X down to? I know you had shaved off an significant amount of weight so far. I'm plan to weigh mine soon when I get these 22" Edge sport wheels on it and I have put about 120~ sqft of sound dampening in it.
I haven't even gotten there yet but I will update when I do.

My fiberglass hood is definitely lighter then the stock hood and i guarantee the ram air forcing cool air into the cold air intake would improve performance over the heat extractor. All you need to do is from in drop in a lower free flow thermostat. Your extraction hood looks good but I'll stick with my Ram Air Hood.
Lol, I promise you that fiberglass hood is heavier than the stock one, lmao. I've weighed our hood. Its aluminum and weighs only 19lbs. That fiberglass hood is WAY heavier.

And unless you have a VERY high end super car...most aftermarket carbon fiber hoods are actually CF overlaid onto fiberglass...not 100% CF.

And that "ram air"? Haha...no, you're not going to see not even 1deg of cooler IATs with this design. Do some before and after logging and prove me wrong, like, REAL logging and testing. As for the heat extractor....I've logged a drop of about 75deg in underhood temps at peak operating temperature, which helps overall engine performance and longevity, especially at the power levels I am running at.

That hood you've got....snake oil...sorry to burst your bubble. If you want the hood for cosmetic purposes, than just say that. I can at least respect that, but if you want some level of performance out of this...you're on a fools errand.

Lol, I promise you that fiberglass hood is heavier than the stock one, lmao. I've weighed our hood. Its aluminum and weighs only 19lbs. That fiberglass hood is WAY heavier.

And unless you have a VERY high end super car...most aftermarket carbon fiber hoods are actually CF overlaid onto fiberglass...not 100% CF.

And that "ram air"? Haha...no, you're not going to see not even 1deg of cooler IATs with this design. Do some before and after logging and prove me wrong, like, REAL logging and testing. As for the heat extractor....I've logged a drop of about 75deg in underhood temps at peak operating temperature, which helps overall engine performance and longevity, especially at the power levels I am running at.

That hood you've got....snake oil...sorry to burst your bubble. If you want the hood for cosmetic purposes, than just say that. I can at least respect that, but if you want some level of performance out of this...you're on a fools errand.
The ram air hood Is not for cooling, it's there to force cool air into the intake. Anytime you can get your engine to breathe forced cool air is great for performance. I had a 3000hp twin turbo race car running in the 6's @ 228mph. My crew chief is one of the top tuners in the racing community. People pay him to fly all over the world to tune their vehicles. Our main goal was to get as much air into the turbos. I think I got a little experience behind me, I used to own an high dollar speed shop. Your extractor looks good and might be good for endurance racing it's not really going to make a difference in a dyno. It's not going to be the best in the rain either.
I'll stay on my fools errand!

The ram air hood Is not for cooling, it's there to force cool air into the intake. Anytime you can get your engine to breathe forced cool air is great for performance. I had a 3000hp twin turbo race car running in the 6's @ 228mph. My crew chief is one of the top tuners in the racing community. People pay him to fly all over the world to tune their vehicles. Our main goal was to get as much air into the turbos. I think I got a little experience behind me, I used to own an high dollar speed shop. Your extractor looks good and might be good for endurance racing it's not really going to make a difference in a dyno. It's not going to be the best in the rain either.
I'll stay on my fools errand!
You're wrong in this case. That ram air won't make 1 degree of difference in IATs on this platform. I'm not really into your "experience" because if it was legit, you'd know the limitations of this platform. I'm telling you, that ram air won't make a lick of difference and all you did was add weight. Show me some legit, same-day, same-DA data logging, with multiple runs before and after...prove me wrong. I promise any tiny power gain you would've gotten from this magical "ram air" is negated by the sheer weight of what you've now added to the vehicle. What intake are you using to utilize this "ram air"? Stock airbox? That won't work, there's already a scoop for that. AirAid? Its the one I have and it, too, sucks. It's just sucking hot engine air in, which my extractor is, by extension, assisting.

I'm the current world record holder for this platform, so I can tell you I've got some "experience" here as well as knowing what it takes to make these things go fast. I know the ecoboost very well. I've seen guys like you come and go. And when they realize how hard it is to get these things moving, they all back down.

I don't care what "experience" you have, this platform is an entirely different animal. As for my extractor adding power, I never made that claim, I know it isn't adding power, but what I AM doing is lower engine bay temps in order to keep the intake manifold from heat soaking as quickly, which, btw, also has an engine coolant tube that runs right beneath it, so keeping coolant temps down assists in keeping that IM from getting the heat transfered to it. The heat extractor is only one part of a larger heat management strategy.

Trust me, you can't out talk me when it comes to this platform. Your tuner isn't Brad from AJP, Matt from GearHead or Torrie from Unleashed, who are the top 3 ecoboost tuners of this platform in the country, and who ALSO fly to various places to tune. I guarantee your tuner's mind will be blown when it comes to the figuring out the amount of torque management needed to keep these things happy and keep from destroying that 6F55 transmission. And let's not even get started on the shift tables....your pedigree does not impress me.

You're wrong in this case. That ram air won't make 1 degree of difference in IATs on this platform. I'm not really into your "experience" because if it was legit, you'd know the limitations of this platform. I'm telling you, that ram air won't make a lick of difference and all you did was add weight. Show me some legit, same-day, same-DA data logging, with multiple runs before and after...prove me wrong. I promise any tiny power gain you would've gotten from this magical "ram air" is negated by the sheer weight of what you've now added to the vehicle. What intake are you using to utilize this "ram air"? Stock airbox? That won't work, there's already a scoop for that. AirAid? Its the one I have and it, too, sucks. It's just sucking hot engine air in, which my extractor is, by extension, assisting.

I'm the current world record holder for this platform, so I can tell you I've got some "experience" here as well as knowing what it takes to make these things go fast. I know the ecoboost very well. I've seen guys like you come and go. And when they realize how hard it is to get these things moving, they all back down.

I don't care what "experience" you have, this platform is an entirely different animal. As for my extractor adding power, I never made that claim, I know it isn't adding power, but what I AM doing is lower engine bay temps in order to keep the intake manifold from heat soaking as quickly, which, btw, also has an engine coolant tube that runs right beneath it, so keeping coolant temps down assists in keeping that IM from getting the heat transfered to it. The heat extractor is only one part of a larger heat management strategy.

Trust me, you can't out talk me when it comes to this platform. Your tuner isn't Brad from AJP, Matt from GearHead or Torrie from Unleashed, who are the top 3 ecoboost tuners of this platform in the country, and who ALSO fly to various places to tune. I guarantee your tuner's mind will be blown when it comes to the figuring out the amount of torque management needed to keep these things happy and keep from destroying that 6F55 transmission. And let's not even get started on the shift tables....your pedigree does not impress me.
It's ok buddy, your a legend in your own mind. Your the EcoBoost King!
I don't need to be a legend here and don't have the time to waste going back and fourth with you.
When you get a chance look up
SHANE TECKLENBURG or Shane T. Performance out of Huntington Beach, Cal. He's tuning Funny Cars, Pro Stocks, Street Outlaws, OffshoreRace Boats, Land Speed Record Holders and Formula Race Cars. He is known around the world.
We are still learning, hopefully one day to be as good as you!

It's ok buddy, your a legend in your own mind. Your the EcoBoost King!
I don't need to be a legend here and don't have the time to waste going back and fourth with you.
When you get a chance look up
SHANE TECKLENBURG or Shane T. Performance out of Huntington Beach, Cal. He's tuning Funny Cars, Pro Stocks, Street Outlaws, OffshoreRace Boats, Land Speed Record Holders and Formula Race Cars. He is known around the world.
We are still learning, hopefully one day to be as good as you!
Lol, no thanks...I already know what it takes to go fast with this platform (relative, because let's be honest....these things aren't fast....even when they are "fast"). I also know the struggle. You'll fall like the rest. I think you already know your hood won't get you there and will slow you down, but hey, what do I know? You're too smart to take advice, cuz you "know people"...super weak. But hey, I'll be here to catch you when "your team" can't figure this PWM, returnless, direct injection fuel system out and why you keep losing fuel pressure when running full e85 (you won't even get that far, I promise). Been there, done that, got it solved.

Again, I won't judge when you come calling...LMAO. I'm definitely looking for some friendly competition, and would gladly applaud anyone who genuinely gets theirs into the books, but I see guys like you all the time come in here and swear they know how to get these turds to scoot into the 8s "cUz tHeY know StUfF". Haha, next....

Lol, no thanks...I already know what it takes to go fast with this platform (relative, because let's be honest....these things aren't fast....even when they are "fast"). I also know the struggle. You'll fall like the rest. I think you already know your hood won't get you there and will slow you down, but hey, what do I know? You're too smart to take advice, cuz you "know people"...super weak. But hey, I'll be here to catch you when "your team" can't figure this PWM, returnless, direct injection fuel system out and why you keep losing fuel pressure when running full e85 (you won't even get that far, I promise). Been there, done that, got it solved.

Again, I won't judge when you come calling...LMAO. I'm definitely looking for some friendly competition, and would gladly applaud anyone who genuinely gets theirs into the books, but I see guys like you all the time come in here and swear they know how to get these turds to scoot into the 8s "cUz tHeY know StUfF". Haha, next....
That's where you got me wrong. I never came on here saying I know these EcoBoost motors. That's all you! Like I said before, i was just going to play with the EcoBoost until i put a package together to drop in. I am extremely familiar with turbo motors. It wouldn't take me long to learn this motor but it's not worth it to me to spend alot of money on here trying to pull power out of it. I'll let you know in the future how it's coming.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's where you got me wrong. I never came on here saying I know these EcoBoost motors. That's all you! Like I said before, i was just going to play with the EcoBoost until i put a package together to drop in. I am extremely familiar with turbo motors. It wouldn't take me long to learn this motor but it's not worth it to me to spend alot of money on here trying to pull power out of it. I'll let you know in the future how it's coming.
SMH...you've got a lot to learn, my friend. Best of luck to you.

Back