Custom intake just built for the 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom intake just built for the 5.0

smiley1

Reaction score
City, State
central coast, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8 AWD
I wanted to share with you folks what I did. Some of you may know from my past posts that I don’t like K&N air filters for daily drivers as they tend to foul MAF sensors even when properly maintained. My goal here was to increase flow while utilizing the superior filtration properties of a conventional paper filter.

*Note: This cone style paper filter replaced my flat panel K&N filter.

I used some Lexan and a STP air filter #SA9345 (same number for Fram). I also used 3" ABS plastic tubing.

I removed the entire air box assembly.

I took a short piece of 3" ABS and glued it to the back of a small piece of Lexan using PVC pipe glue. I marked the holes for the factory MAF. I drilled the holes for the MAF bolt holes and cut out the ID of where the tube met the flat panel. I bolted my new MAF adapter to the MAF using the stock gasket. I installed the New paper air filter which just fits over the ABS adapter.

I used cardboard as templates to shape a barrier to the heat associated with the heat of the engine.

Utilizing the cardboard templates I cut two pieces of Lexan which adequately shielded the heat of the engine from the filter element. I will add a heat reflective product at a later time to further insulate the heat.

RESULT: Excellent throttle response. I noticed the nose end of the X perk up a bit more on WOT. Seat of the pants feel could be in my head but seems to have increased noticeably. I will be testing MPG gains as well, if any.

COST: 4.00 for small section of ABS, 14.00 for filter, and 12.00 for more Lexan than you will ever need. Total is approximately 30.00

I have uploaded the pics to my account but they may not show up just yet. Even so... here is the link:

Click on the slide show
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2115876598

If you have trouble seeing the pics, PM me and I can Email them to you.

-Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couldn't really see the photo in great detail, but sounds cool.

I just did a "custom" intake for my 5.0 as well. Just finished it yesterday. I combined the Volant filterbox and filter from my SOHC 4.0 setup, scored an ASMI setup from eBay using only the metal intake tube from the kit, and clamped it all together using silicone couplers and t-bolt clamps made by "hightempsilicone" (another eBay seller). Not quite as cheap as yours but works (and sounds) GREAT.

No photos just yet.

I don't agree with your assessment of oiled cloth filters. I find that the key is to use the oil sparingly. After a good clean of the filter followed by a dry and light oiling, I fill my filter with newspaper and it soaks up the excess. My MAF always looks pretty clean when I do clean it periodically (speaking from experience with my 4.0 setup at least).

celly said:
Couldn't really see the photo in great detail, but sounds cool.

I just did a "custom" intake for my 5.0 as well. Just finished it yesterday. I combined the Volant filterbox and filter from my SOHC 4.0 setup, scored an ASMI setup from eBay using only the metal intake tube from the kit, and clamped it all together using silicone couplers and t-bolt clamps made by "hightempsilicone" (another eBay seller). Not quite as cheap as yours but works (and sounds) GREAT.

No photos just yet.

I don't agree with your assessment of oiled cloth filters. I find that the key is to use the oil sparingly. After a good clean of the filter followed by a dry and light oiling, I fill my filter with newspaper and it soaks up the excess. My MAF always looks pretty clean when I do clean it periodically (speaking from experience with my 4.0 setup at least).

I just upgraded my account with Imagestation so I’m not sure when you can view the full size version.

Would be interesting to see some pics of your setup.

Its not just the oil that causes problems. I have oil analysis that shows K&N filters let in a lot more silicon vs. conventional paper filters. This typically causes increased iron wear.

Here is a link about air filters and test data associated with them:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Also some chat regarding K&N filters on BITOG:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000464

IMHO, K&N filters are not worth the added 3 to 4 more HP in the upper band of RPM that I dont even use. Especially given the added silicon contamination and occasional mandatory MAF cleaning (Oil is sparingly used {Keep in mind that I have run a K&N in this X since 1998}). A larger paper filter can equal an aftermarket K&N and clean better to boot!

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think K&N's are junk. I just think folks should be informed regarding K&N's. They were intended for racing applications and not motor longevity.

I've seen so many supporting and conflicting discussions and references to studies (including the one you showed) that it's mind boggling. I don't even want to go there!

One thing I will tell you is that I just got the ASMI setup earlier this week and I noticed an immediate difference when I replaced the stock intake tube. I think it's the bottleneck in the system. Unfortunately ASMI wouldn't sell the tube separately, so I paid full price for the setup, but it's cheaper than MAC and I used a 10% Paypal coupon to boot.

Beau J mentioned to me that he had a ASMI tube kicking around. Might want to see if he'll part with it, assuming he still has it. You'd need to rig up some couplers (if he doesn't have them) and get some hose-clamps. You can also try the more expensive (but better looking) route by using hightempsilicone couplings and t-bolts. A bit of overkill for an intake application (they're designed for turbos/superchargers), but they sure look better than the cheapo couplers/hose clamps that come with ASMI's intakes (and MAC for that matter).

Thanks for the link Celly. I dont use a bend though. The only part that I would use is the adapter as the filter is mounted directly onto it. Unless this replaces the stock tube between the throttle body and the MAF... but the MAF seems to be the bottle neck and not the tubing.

From your photo, it looks like you're still using the stock rubber intake tube from the throttle body. That's the part I replaced earlier this week (and the part BeauJ said he had) and it seemed to make a difference and looks much nicer too. Of course, so many of the performance gains noticed with intake systems is psychological if you ask me. ;)

celly said:
From your photo, it looks like you're still using the stock rubber intake tube from the throttle body. That's the part I replaced earlier this week (and the part BeauJ said he had) and it seemed to make a difference and looks much nicer too. Of course, so many of the performance gains noticed with intake systems is psychological if you ask me. ;)

Thanks for the info. Yes, I do have the stock tube between the throttle body and MAF.

I can see going from a completely stock box to an entire reworked intake to the throttle body would have a noticeable seat of the pants feel. Doing one little thing at a time would not... So, I agree. Most of it is psychological.

BTW, did you have a factory flat panel or paper cone style intake? I seem to remember seeing some canister/cone style intakes on explorers. The cone/canister type seemed like they would be more efficient. Mine came with the near useless flat panel.

You can also see the pics better if you use the slide show option. :)

Mine came stock with a flat paper filter. I didn't use it long as I had my Volant setup on there within days of scoring the Explorer.

where did you get that paper filter? I am currently running a cheap ebay $5 k&n imitator and need to replace it.

Afboy143 said:
where did you get that paper filter? I am currently running a cheap ebay $5 k&n imitator and need to replace it.

I got it at Autozone. Remember that this filter has no lip. The tube (3" ABS plastic pipe in my case) slips inside the filter . I believe the ID is about 3 1/4". This makes a snug fit over the ABS.

Mine came stock with a flat paper filter. I didn't use it long as I had my Volant setup on there within days of scoring the Explorer.

Bought mine new in 98 and just changed it over. LOL.

smiley1 said:
Bought mine new in 98 and just changed it over. LOL.

Paper filters get clogged up pretty fast here. Dry, dusty place for the most part. In 7 years your engine wouldn't start here!

celly said:
Paper filters get clogged up pretty fast here. Dry, dusty place for the most part. In 7 years your engine wouldn't start here!
I meant the style of filter. Not that I had the same paper filter in for seven years, silly! :p

Is that headshield made out of Lexan? Is that also what is holding it all up?

smiley1 said:
I meant the style of filter. Not that I had the same paper filter in for seven years, silly! :p

DOH! :confused:

Afboy143 said:
Is that headshield made out of Lexan? Is that also what is holding it all up?

Yes and Yes. What you cant see is that it is a very tight fit and I used vacuum hose slit down the middle for the edges of the Lexan. There are two pieces of Lexan that slip together around the MAF adapter. Never the less, it is very sturdy but has enough flex for engine twist. I should have taken pictures before I put it together...

Smiley, after all this time I finally got around to putting up some pics and details on my setup here. Finishing touch was installing the new Amsoil filter. No more oiling, ever! :D

From December! Wake me from the dead, will you. :eek:

I posted over on your thread. Looks way better than mine, although I was going for the cheep do-it-yourself, not professional wizbang high speed low drag.

Very nice :thumbsup:

Back