Custom parking brake cable with an adjustment assembly. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom parking brake cable with an adjustment assembly.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
My parking brake cable broke, and I was having a difficult time trying to locate a replacement. I saw some cables advertised with various lengths. I didn't want to order one then find out that it didn't fit so I attempted to repair the damaged cable. It was good but it had too much slack. The auto parts store had an adjuster which was compact but the metal was a very thin gauge, and bent easily. A second one bent too. Reviews online had feedback from many people having the same issue. I wasn't able to locate anything better so I had to design one myself. Most of the parts were easy to find at Ace Hardware except for the wheel bushings. I used a CAD program called 123D Design to draw them then I printed them with my 3D printer. You could download the files here: Parking brake cable adjustment assembly with a printed bushing. by BrooklynBay.

Assembly # 1..JPG

Assembly # 2..JPG

Assembly # 3..JPG

Mounted assembly with the cable..JPG

Mounted assembly..JPG

Wheel - bushing # 1..JPG

Wheel - bushing # 2..JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! I bet that would work on Rangers and Explorers too.

I'm sure that it could work with many vehicles. The bracket has a hole in the middle which is hard to see in the photos. I put a screw into this part to connect it to the body of the van so that it's not suspended by the cable. It won't wobble during driving since it's secured in place.

Thanks for the idea.

The ends of each cable would have to be looped, and then I would have to use one tool to hold it with another tool to tighten it. This is easier to use, and could be placed anywhere on the cable. It doesn't require tools to tighten, and could be done with one hand in an area with limited accessibility.

I like the idea, but I would have run the cable around each wheel/bushing, and found a way to adjust one of the wheels. That hook adjustment is not good for the cable.

I thought this thread might be about adapting another parking brake cable etc, to a vehicle. I'd like do that on a proposed future project, to get rid of a center floor mounted parking brake handle, in a RHD truck. I've wondered what the parts look like in a Fusion, or similar electrical parking brake system.

The idea is good. For some stupid reason, the cable lengths varied over the years on the aerostar. The self adjuster in the handle was a worse idea.

I was referring to the factory self adjuster.

Autozone had some listed on their computer for less money but I don't know if it's the correct length. After looking at various parts websites, it looks like there are several cables with various lengths. Each place has a similar length which varies by an inch or two (or possibly more). If possible, remove your cable (if it's still intact), and try to get an exact measurement. If your cable is stretched, and can't tighten completely, then subtract about a half an inch or add an adjuster.

Mine is not as good as others discussed, but here’s what I have on my Ranger.
My old backyard mechanic put this hook on to pull the cable sideways and take up the slack. The camera angle makes it look more severe of a deflect than it really is. It’s attached to a bolt on the frame that holds the gas tank skid. It’s been on for ten years now and hasn’t worn through the cable like I thought it might, but I do not use my brake regularly since it’s a manual trans. Just thought I would share the idea.
3CB17D4F-C78F-408A-A645-CE471B5E65CD.jpeg

I have a 4 door f350, the previous owner added a new parking brake foot lever and all new cables....yet the intermediate cable was like 12" too long. Makes no sense....I mean I have the 4 door cab and the long bed, is there a longer one?
The aftermarket cable is like a foot too long!
Anyways I fixed it with a turnbuckle.... stainless steel hardware and some cable clamps.
keep having to go back and put in more adjustment as the new cables stretch

I like your adjuster, it would be good to remove what like 1-2" of slack?

@RangerX are coconuts literally just everywhere or what? LOL

Nice job it reminds me of this little guy
5014557_rnb_03006_pri_larg.jpg

Yes it sure does???? That's what he based his design off of, covered about 3 posts up..........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it sure does???? That's what he based his design off of, covered about 3 posts up..........
Shoot I looked that over
I posted that part in posts number 10 & 11 in this thread. It was a good idea but the gauge of the metal is way too light for this purpose. It bends as soon as the brake is applied.
Thx

Back