custom removable roll cage,would u buy one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

custom removable roll cage,would u buy one?

would you buy this roll cage

• yes

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • no

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • your insane

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

madmike

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Yuma, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 xlt, 93 SAS xlt
I'm working with a friend of mine on creating a complete roll cage that is going to be very strong but also able to be put together in the x with out removing anything but the seats and moving the carpet around alittle, no welding inside at all unless you choose to. We are going to start on mine soon and when it is finished and all the quirks are gone then we will show it off. this poll is to see if anyone would be interrested in this kind of product , that could be pre-made and shipped in boxes and installed by you. so any input would be greatly appreciated, oh ya it will be made out of 1 3/4 steel tubing , the same stuff as race car cages are made of. so lets hear it guys:bounce: :bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depending on $

we are thinking around the $600-$800 but that is just a guesstimate so once mine is finished then I will be able to give a better price range, hell it might be cheaper,we want this to be affordable to everyone so just have to see how it goes. :D

So then, is everything gonna bolt together at different points where the tube meets?
Pete

How is it going to tie into the frame?

well we have two or three different ideas on how to tie the bars together so we are going to see what is best and the strongest as well as most user friendly. its going to mount kind of like ricks does on the body over the frame by the body mounts. I have a hook up on the padding , i can get any color and am thinking of various oh sh*t handles and stuff, like I said this is an experiment on my x first and if it is feasable to create an easy to build, easy to install, bad ass cage then we are thinking of making them on the side to sell to the guys here in the x-world. remember this is just a poll to see how much of a demand there might be, :D and when mine is done there will be many picts to get more input. thanks.

oops, i voted before i read it... i dont want a removeable one... but i would buy yours and then weld the seams together... please have my vote changed from no to yes i would buy one.....

Now everyone dont get me wrong, we can make custome to fit cages , but you would have to come down to beautiful N.C. and be able to leave your truck for a while to have it permanently welded inside, but then your talking big bucks, we are simply trying to provide one for the average man, not someone who has more money than I do and cant have cool toys too:D

Well I would but I'm designing and welding my own cage in.

It sounds like you got a reallly good idea goin here. Keep going with it!!

Thanks Derrick, I know how bad I want one and there are probably alot of others on here who do to, and if we can come up with an affordable and fairly easy way to install one then we'll be in there. I use to have an 88 toyota and I made one for it that was in four pieces that fit together really good and was just as strong as one that was welded so gonna use the same concept on the x. later.:D

I'd definatly like to have one. Post when you get it all figured out.:) :redexp:

I am interested in the final product. :D

I would get one too. Let me know when you get the design together. Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

how is the status on this? i really want a cheap as possible cage as i am partially topless...... also, will it have frame tie in? like a spot where it will sandwich the body and goto the frame? how much $$$ are we looking at?

well if we cut holes in the floor boards then we will use like shifter boots to make them environment proof. I just spent like 1700 bucks on the winch and gears and stuff so still on the planning stages, my next purchase will be on the tubing bender and the welder. I'll keep ya posted though.:D :D

sweet mike... i need a cage befor any more wheeling

I have some plans drawn up , just going through this divorce right now has put my fun on hold for a while, $2000 for lawyer fees blows:banghead:

oh man sorry to hear that. well whenever you get a chance shoot tose plans my way or give me some ideas and i will get to work on my own. Not tryin to cut you off and sell them, but rather tryin to get one done or me.

Thanks

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A removeable roll cage would not be worth anything to me. If its not welded and tied into the frame its nothing more than window dressing, it wouldn't be worth a damn if your truck went belly up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back