Custom roof rack/cage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom roof rack/cage

Morning shot... It's dry just not fully cured

KIMG0266_zpsjfzhhbid.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone looked at the underside of the roof? I wonder if the loads people want to haul might do well to have some structure added below the mounting holes.

I've got a 98 Limited now that I want to mount the OEM Mountaineer running boards to. I like them better, and now that I've got both trucks to compare with, it looks like Ford located the mounting holes rearward more on the Explorer. So I might have to drill some holes, and fill some too. My 98 truck is about aesthetics, but my 99 truck has a 93 roof, and I'd like to consider mounting a sturdy rack to it for work.

Not really sure about yours, but what I saw of mine, Ford has cross members at those points. I didn't take my headliner down for this, but I've had the back part down previously and that is what I remember seeing

Not saying it's done, because the ladder needs to be built and the ladder holder will be installed... But it's installed

VZM.IMG_20160805_072802_zps05sin9ei.jpg

Well done, it looks excellent, and big enough for anything you need it for.

Yea, yea, I'm the king of thread revivals, that being said...

I really really like this rack. Its sturdy enough and big enough to hold anything (Even people!) and looks good to boot. I've been wanting to build one myself, and you have inspired me. It will be copied by others besides me I'm sure. I love the stable secure mounting "feet". Did you eliminate your factory rack entirely?

One other thing I thought of as I looked. I bet that would hold one of those roof top tents. I also bet you could make one.

Back