Custom sub box?

MO_GUY

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Farber, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explo Sport 4.0 SOHC
Does anyone have an idea of a type of sub box I could build in my 2000 Sport? I am building it for a 12" RF Power HX2, if you don't know about these subs, they are monsterous, about a foot of depth is needed to mount the sub, but I don't want a box taking up half my cargo area, I want to take up as little space as possible, but would also like it to look nice and be efficient and effective.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did build a box that was placed on the left side of the cargo. It held 2 subs Im not sure I have any pictures put let me draw somthing up real quick.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=284181&page=2

Also the box is fairly easy to make and you can extend it as far as needed, I think if you have a cargo cover, the highest you can make the box is probally, 15" with the cover on. So you could hide the box.

Here's my box for a single 8". You could build something similar, just bigger. It would probably take up about 1.5 square feet and go up to the cargo cover.

Dead Link Removed

Your sub should come with instructions on building a box, or they should be on the company's website.

But first, a few basics.

There are 3 major types of boxes. sealed, ported, and bandpass.

Sealed-pros:lower cubic feet needed, slightly better sound quality. cons:lower SPL (sound pressure level, *loudness*)

Ported-pros:loudness cons:space needed (about 50% more than sealed)

Bandpass-probably too hard for you to build.

1 12" sub will need about 1 cuft sealed, or 1.5 cuft ported. box shape does not matter.

flgatorz, im not a n00b at car audio, ive just never built a box in an explorer and i hoped that some folks had idea's, i also need enough room to mount 2 amps, and i refuse to mount them on the back of my fold down seats

You could put one amp on each side where I did:

(behind the door next to the rear seat)

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 709

Originally posted by Alec
You could put one amp on each side where I did:

(behind the door next to the rear seat)

not a bad idea but then i'd have to drill into the plastic, velcro doesnt like to stick in my truck cause its so bumpy

I just used 2 or 3 self tapping screws.

ok so far this is what i have in mind, the left side thin line would be the backs of the rear seats

Dead Link Removed

that or on each side of the sub

If you had enough room to put them in the center then cover them with plexiglass that would be awsome, it would give a really custom look, and the plexi glass would protect them.

I'm not 100% sure how to build a bandpass box, but does this look right? Thats a side view and top view...

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 677

Hey WoodysX what size wiod and wut brand of wood did u use to make the box?...Did u seal the box completly?...what did u use to seal it?

Thanx
Jay

To build a sub box you use MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) and use caulk on the insides to fill the cracks. You can get the wood at mostly any store that sells wood, Home Depot, Lowes, etc

Anyone know if I have the right idea in my drawing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey on the first box u have with the amp in the middle and the subs on the sides...would there be wood inside the box deviding the 3?

Thanx
Jay

Back