Custom sub box? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom sub box?

Yea, there would be. I did have one of those pics but you can use your imagination :) It will depend on what size subs and amp you have though since that area between the wheel wells is around 40".

And yes there is a Q fourm http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/vbulletin225/

You can find my 278hp Q (1st gen) for less than $6000. I dont go much of anywhere with it though, just to school and back. Right now the snow has caused me not to drive it :( And no school for the rest of the week (HS)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by WoodysX
First off 98FordX24 bandpass boxes are not the greatest boxes for sound quality, or anything else :) Sealed will give you the best all around sound, and also not taking up as much space.

Check out some boxes I have drawn for the Xplorer
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=284181&page=2

Sound is a matter of opinion. i have a bandpass in my Corvette, and I love it. I have ported in my X, and haven't heard a sealed that sounded better for what I use it for. Everyone has an opinion on what sounds good, trust me I'm in this business. It's the first thing I teach people. It basically depends on what you want it for.

right now i have a bandpass and I think it sounds great. I want it to sound good inside... i dont care if people can hear me coming a mile away or not.

What kind of music do you listen too? That pretty much is the main factor in deciding the kind of box you want. Also, what does the specs say for how much space that sub needs? You will need top base your overall box size on how much space the sub needs, or else the sub won't sound good no matter what type of box you put it in.

Yea but you have to admit that the vast majority of people aggree that sealed is better then bandpass...

I listen to alternative music. I'm not sure how much room the subs need. I'm also not sure what model subs they are. I know they are 10" cerwin vegas. I bought the whole setup from my friend and I think he figured it all out. I was going to build a box with the same volume as the current box, just in a different shape. I am going to use the tubes from the current box also. That should make it look nice.

Originally posted by WoodysX
Yea but you have to admit that the vast majority of people aggree that sealed is better then bandpass...

No I don't. Why don't you go over to Termpro.com and post a thread asking which is better, sealed or ported and see what kind of response you get. I've been on that forum for about 6 months now, it is run for the main purpose of DbDrag, and majority of the members of that site will tell you that ported is better. Like I said before sound is all an opinion.

Originally posted by 98FordX24
I listen to alternative music. I'm not sure how much room the subs need. I'm also not sure what model subs they are. I know they are 10" cerwin vegas. I bought the whole setup from my friend and I think he figured it all out. I was going to build a box with the same volume as the current box, just in a different shape. I am going to use the tubes from the current box also. That should make it look nice.

Did you listen to them in your X at all? If not I would suggest you hook them up just to see how they would sound in that type of enclosure. If you don't like it, then you would just be wasting your time.

I forgot ported, SORRY. Yea ported will give you greater output and sound better if built right.

98FordX24 are they the silver subs? HEDs? What kinda box are you building?

Oh yeah, this is the 2nd X of mine they have been in. They sound great inside, but dont carry to the outside much (which I dont really care about). I would leave it just the way it is, but the damn box takes up too much room so I wanted to build a custom box that would fit against the back of the seat like the picture I drew a few posts up. I think Ill just take apart the box I have now and see how its built unless someone can tell me if the way I drew it is correct.

The subs are pretty old. They are black with a red cerwin vega symbol in the middle.

You do have the basic idea done up correctly, however I don't know the exact percentages for the different areas. If the percentages are wrong, the sub will sound bad. You have to have a certain percentage in front of the sub, and a certain percent behind. I'll see what i can find for you tomorrow. I know I have it around here somewhere, but yes your drawing is going in the right direction.

Also, if you can figure out what kind of subs they are and get some specs, I can run it through a box building program and give you some exact numbers.

basically what I want to do is take the box I have now and smoosh it down a little so it fits better. I'm going to figure out the volume of all 3 compartments and make the new box so the volumes are the same, just in a different shape. Does shape matter?

ill see if i can get some numbers to you tomorrow. thanks.

the guy who drew that funny picture of a bandpass box: That is only a bandpass box if the ports in each chamber are tuned differently (aka: different lengths) otherwise, it's just ported.

A Band pass box has two tuning freqs, this can aide in SPL or SQ, or it can sound like crap. For SPL, you tune one port to a frew, then the other close to the peak of the first ports freq; this allows for a double peak, not much, but a small .2 or more dB gain, useless in my opinion.

Sealed CAN be better; If you have the room, ported are NORMALLY better, but it entirely depends on the sub's Qts to see whether or not it's better sealed or ported. If it's a port loving sub, then tuning low (20 hz) will yeild a nice flat transient response for pretty damn good SQ. Tuning any higher and you'll have a peak that gets higher as the tuning is higher.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not doing this to get good SPL or anything. All I want to do is build a box that fits better in my truck. I am perfectly happy with the setup I have now and the way it sounds (other than the box taking up too much room).

What I think I'll do is take all the dimensions from the box I have now and change the dimensions (proportionately, keeping the same volume) to make a box that fits in the back of the X nice. Then I will drill 2 holes in each chamber and take the 4 plastic tubes from my current box and slap them into my new box.

So, when all is said and done, I will have an exact replica of my current box as far as volume of all 3 chambers, subs and tube length, just in a different shape.

This is all assuming that shape doesn't matter.

Thoughts???

Great! :bounce: Time to get working.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hartman did a great and relitive easy to learn process, that shows step by step how to make a box over the wheel wells. But in your case just 2 subs, and if you want it to "blend" in better, instead of the 90 degree cut that goes over the wheel well, you can get a coat hanger bend it to the wheel well, trace and cut.

Dead Link Removed

Back