Custom Winch Bumper ideas

soupbone

Reaction score
City, State
Hayward,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4WD
Dead Link Removed

Since nobody makes one for a 95+ I found a place kinna local.. well 90 miles away that might fab one. Here is the spec.

Material:
Main bumper: 3/16" steel
Grill guard: 3/8" steel
Frame mounts: 1/4" (main frame plate) & 3/16" (secondary plate)

These pics are from a Dodge but its just a example cause they do custom work.
http://www.hansonenterprise.com/dodge.htm
THe Chevy one looks cool also.

Hopefully when I get my tax return in 2002 ill do this with a Warn M8000. Or maybe we can do a group buy thing if anybody is interested. Oh and next is the rear bumper/multi carrier. Check the bronco/jeep section for an example.
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/hanson_tjbumper/page2.htm

what do ya think....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ramsey and WARN also make mounting systems for the '95+ Explorers.

Dead Link Removed

http://www.warn.com/InternetHome/

And I believe they are less than the $1k price tag you'll have to pay to have it fab.

protection, approach angle and winch...

hello,

I emailed and called warn they say they dont make one and have no plans for my 00.

Ramsey makes a grill guard type. I already have a manik type guard which i want to get rid off. I want a bumper not the grill guard type. Something with a better approach angle and more protection. The round headlight models like my 00 are kinna bad witht that.

With this bumper you can jack up the vehicle from the slots in the bumper. Not gonna try that on a grill guard. Besides its already bent and tweaked from off roading.

Its just the $230 manik guard has more form than function and utility.

Soupebone,
I have talked to Wayne Hanson and although he makes some really good stuff, they also cost quite a bit. I wanted him to make me a rear tire carrier/ bumper and it would have costed me over $1500.00.
He ain't cheap.Also he is so far behind that it will take quite awhile for him to get to doing the custom one of a kind jobs. His brother made my rock sliders. If you want his brothers number, I think I still have his card around somewhere. He does very good work too, not cheap either, but very good work.

In defense of the Ramsey, serria Wraparound grill guard/winch mount, it has a better approch angle than your manik does.

Hey Ray,

Yea $1500 is alot. Something in the 700 to 800 would be fine for the front. Its just some ideas....

Yea your rocksliders worked great when i saw them in action. So thats a definate "gotta get" item. Yes I know my manik sucks. I figured that out at the end of the stair steps at hollister. *BANG* ... But so does my front stock bumper. The round fog lamp explorer bumper approach angle isnt as good compared to the 95 to 98s with the rectangular lamps I think. The ramsey is way cooler and Im not bashing it at all. Its the only available winch mount I believe besides something high dollar and custom :hammer: . I just wanted a new winch bumper like a TJM or a ARB hehe thats all. Not something to guard my stock bumper which isnt that good in my opinion.

Yea I want that RCD 5.5" coilover lift then i woudnt be scrapin so much! But I want protection/recovery first I think.

I'm not up much on the new Xs. I have been in the woods too long with my 92. I think these are cool. I don't know if they make them for a '00. The US available products PDF file is a 3mb download.

http://www.tjmproducts.com.au/us/usa_t15_bars.html

hrmmmm

yea talked to TJM already. Its a nice looking bumper for about 700 but that model takes no winch. :( I was wondering if a T-17 for 91 to 94 could be tweaked to fit a 00. I know the T-17 takes a winch and is heavy duty but for a lower price of like $400 which is in my budget for the time being. Is the front frame of a 91 to 94 similar to a 95+ ?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=39448

Has anyone seen this? Dead Link Removed

Yep. I heard the guy said he hasnt done a 95+ explorer and wont be for some time due to the same reason Ray said about the Hanson shop. Think it will fit a 91 to 94 explorer though but dunno really. hrmmmm

soupbone,
Have you considered using a 2 inch receiver to mount the winch?
Keep the bumper as small as possible and as rugged as possible around the receiver. Mount a 2" receiver and mount the winch on an EZ Mount. That way you can move the winch from the front to the back as needed; if you get stuck it is easier to pull yourself out from the way you went in.
Also, the winch and HD bumper's weight on the front is something to consider, not always good to be too front heavy.

Good Luck,
:usa: :chug: :usa:

Originally posted by Sandy
soupbone,
Have you considered using a 2 inch receiver to mount the winch?

Hrmm thats an idea. Maybe sorta like this.
http://www.explorer4x4.com/fakrwee.html
Then the winching capacity is limited to the reciever. hrmm I wonder how many pounds the average pulls is?

And also out of curiosity how much is your setup Mav?

Thanks

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone the receiver mount solution. Of course I will do it over again, probably somewhere around 300,000 miles. There are too many times in the mud of east Texas that I have to winch backwards. I am tired of caring a second winch to hook on my hitch ball. The SmittyBilt 3" Tube winch bumper might look cool, but the next one is going to be something out of Mad Max (with a 2" receiver). That way my Uncle Bubby's Bumper Buddy can be used on the front in a pinch... :cool:

Yes you are limited to the strength of the receiver hitch.
You can add metal plates from the cross bar to the frame to strengthen the set up.
Of course the next problem is the capacity of the frame.

What next?

:usa: :chug: :ca:

Yea I was wondering about side pulls and such. But I guess one could add a cross bar to it like you said. Hidden hitch make a front hitch with 9000 lbs rating and 300lbs tongue weight.

hrmmm

Thanks

Back