• Register Today It's free!

Custom X Project

ExplorerTruck99

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 X Sport
Hey guys, it's my first post and I figure it's a good one.

I'm thinking of taking my 1999 X Sport and turning it into something better than what it is now. I have 115k miles on it, it's an automatic, very good condition (except for the console has a tear in the fabric). I love the truck so damn much, but the only problem is I want more power out of it. 160 HP out of a 4.0L isn't cutting it for me. This is my proposal:

Swap out the V6 for a 5.0
Swap the auto for a manual 5 speed.
Upgrade the suspension
Upgrade the exhaust.

Basically turn the X into an X squared. I've talked to my buddy about it, and he owns his own custom shop. He said he's not seen anyone do that before to an Explorer. All together, it would run about 10k (cheaper than any new car out there now) and I would get about 330 HP with all the mods done to it. I have the money for a new car, but I want my Explorer to be a bad ass.

It's my first car from High School my parents got me when I graduated and I can't part from it. What do you think? Yay or nay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swap out the V6 for a 5.0
Swap the auto for a manual 5 speed.
Upgrade the suspension
Upgrade the exhaust.

I'm not seeing anything on your list that hasn't been done before, it'll still be cool when it's done though. How are you wanting to upgrade the suspension?

if he v8 it he can use the computor for the v8

reprogram PCM?

The V8 PCM will be programmed for the V8 keys. The Sport door and ignition keys will not be compatible with the V8 PCM. On my 2000 when the microchip on the key does not match what the PCM expects the starter cranks but the fuel injectors are disabled. It is my understanding that it takes a dealer (or possibly a PATS knowledgeable locksmith) to reprogram the PCM for a different set of keys. The vehicle would have to be towed to the dealer.

The PCM has the ability to program additional keys if two correctly coded keys are available. Unfortunately, even if a person has two correctly coded keys for the V8 PCM (not very likely) they will not be cut to match the ignition lock tumblers in the Sport.

One possibility is to remove all of the locks, take them to a locksmith and have the tumblers changed to match the V8 keys and then reinstall them. That can only be done if the V8 keys are available.

Another possibility is to disable PATS with a custom tune but then the vehicle is easier to steal. That's undesireable when a lot of time and money has been invested upgrading the engine.

In my opinion the preferred solution would be to use a locksmith with portable equipment capable of reprogramming the V8 PCM for different keys after the engine swap is performed.

I'm not seeing anything on your list that hasn't been done before, it'll still be cool when it's done though. How are you wanting to upgrade the suspension?

Lower it a couple inches, thicker sway bars, leaf springs, I don't know. I was brainstorming with my buddy two days ago. He's got a list of things to do. The goal is for the truck to take turns better (not car status, but good enough) with the upgraded engine.

The engine, we would take the V8 out of a 99 - 04 Mustang GT (the 2V engine 260 HP) or the older 5.0 (out of the 89 - 93 Fox 215 HP) then remove every restriction possible. Duel exhaust, X pipe, etc. My buddy said 320 HP to the wheels when he's done with it. My experiences have been with Mustangs, so this is right up my alley. The swapping part is my problem.

Worth the 10 grand to spend on a truck that will last another 13 years?

you can fit the 4.6 in there but it's going to be a tight squeeze, not many people have done it. The easiest swap will be a 302 from an explorer, then you can just swap everything over. It's best to start with a whole explorer, then you have all the parts right there.

you can fit the 4.6 in there but it's going to be a tight squeeze, not many people have done it. The easiest swap will be a 302 from an explorer, then you can just swap everything over. It's best to start with a whole explorer, then you have all the parts right there.

What about converting it to manual? Is there a center console I can use from a Ranger truck? I think that will be the most awkward.

yeah it can be converted to a manual, the transmission functions will just have to be turned off in the custom tune your going to want to get anyway. For the console you could either switch to a short console or depending on where the shifter is finally placed use the full length console with some parts from a v6 manual explorer.

yeah it can be converted to a manual, the transmission functions will just have to be turned off in the custom tune your going to want to get anyway. For the console you could either switch to a short console or depending on where the shifter is finally placed use the full length console with some parts from a v6 manual explorer.

Cool thanks for the advice. Anything else I should know about converting it?

Back