Cut Air Box Pics!

RTStork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Grand Bay, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT 5.0L 2WD
I have seen a few threads lately with questions on where to cut the airbox for best results. I did not have a digital camera when I modified the air box on my Explorer, but I have one now and I recently did the same mod on my recently acquired Cherokee. I have included a link to show where to cut your airbox for best results. The stock Cherokee intake box pulled air through the front of the airbox just like my Explorer so I feel that this will be a great example. Like I have said in some of my posts regarding the mod, on my Explorer, I noticed more power than I did with my K&N FIPK. I really believe this is because the K&N FIPK and the KKM pull air from all sides and most of it is hot engine bay air. With the cut air box, it enables the engine to only pull the cooler air through the grill opening. I also like how it still has the stock look to it. Maybe one of the Moderators will mark this as "important" so it will stay at the top. Enjoy and any comments are welcome.

Air Box Pics

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the pics:D

i haven't done this, but wouldn't it be just as easy to take the top of the air box off?

I dont think that would work,there would be nothing to hold the filter in

is my airbox the same as the one you posted? I don't want to cut mine and end up screwing something up. Can you cut too much?
My box is split in two parts. From what I'm guessing I should cut a couple of holes in the front (closest to the grill) bottom portion of my airbox.
Is this right?

Originally posted by EliteConcept
i haven't done this, but wouldn't it be just as easy to take the top of the air box off?

ummm....isnt the top part connected to the intake tube? i think the bottom part is what can be removed

Originally posted by dec322
is my airbox the same as the one you posted? I don't want to cut mine and end up screwing something up. Can you cut too much?
My box is split in two parts. From what I'm guessing I should cut a couple of holes in the front (closest to the grill) bottom portion of my airbox.
Is this right?

Thats right. You will then enable much more cooler air to enter the enginge through the grill. As far as cutting too much, as long as you leave enought for the upper section of the airbox to attach to the lower. In my picture, I only showed the lower. so you can see where I left a strip at the top so the upper can be reattached.

Thanks RTStork. One more question. You said you only showed the lower portion of the airbox. Did you cut the upper portion too?

cutting the upper part of the airbox is BAD. This is after the filter, so it will be pulling in unfiltered air. hope that answers your question.

I didnt think a 94 was the same type of air bix as a 99 explorer? On the 91-94's Youll have to cut the bottom rather than the top. WIth the pushrod v6 its better to just get the kkm it would cost almost the same, iff yo uhavent already gotten the drop in.

Not to rain on anyones parade, but you really have not gained any more airflow than what you had before. From what I can see, the intake tube which you cut off is the same diameter as the intake after the filter. All you have really done is made the the hole bigger in your box, the manifold is still getting the same amount of air it was before.

Lets say the TB(throttle body) is only 2" in diameter and your intake box is 25" in diameter. Air still has to pass through that 2" TB before it gets into the manifold. Therefor, the TB diameter dictates you air intake volume.

This has been talked about many many times and it all boils down to the TB.

With the Explorer on the other hand, the 95-01 filter box has an intake opening about the size of a silver dollar. cutting that or drilling the bottom portion of your box will allow more air to enter the box. It really won't increase performance. You may get a slightly better throttle response, but that's about it.

1st - You need to keep in mind the probability of water entering the system. If you are into fast mudding or puddle jumping, you certainly don't want a huge gaping hole in your air box. I have drilled mine, but rather than open up a wide mouth, I've drilled several smaller holes (approx 1/2") in the bottom of the box. I actually I drilled the holes to help the box drain water. The cool airflow was just a pleasant side effect.

2nd - 2001ExpSport, while I agree that a wider TB is the best way to increase air, there still has to be a good supply to the TB. You can open your mouth wider, but if you put your had over it, your not going to get more air! I have to say that even the small amount of cooler air I get with my drilled box makes some difference. I think the design of the intake duct (from behind the turn signal, snaking around the serpentine belt and all, finally dumping into the box) is horrible. The airflow is extremely limited by the position of the intake as well as the many twists and turns of the duct. Air PRESSURE can be increased regardless of the TB volume. Pulling a small amount of air through the side and bottom of the box allows more air pressure entering the system. Plus the air will likely come from the fender well rather than the duct making it cooler (only an opinion, no research to back that up).

Plus, it gives cheepo guys like me a way to feel better about their performance without spending several hundred dollars, even if the gain is minimal. :p

I understand your point and what you don't want is a vacuum. My point is that anything LARGER than the throttle body will not increase airflow since the throttle body dictates the amount of air required by the engine at any given time.

Sorry for the confusion. My post was meant more for street driven Explorers like mine, not offroading where you can increase the risk of water entering the engine. Just to recap, I gained 2mpg on the hwy and a noticeable power increase with the cut airbox (more power increase over my FIPK) and dual exhaust, so I definately recommend this to street driven Explorers.

I went out to possible drill my airbox today. But while I was looking at it I got scared.
Let me get everything right before I do something stupid.
I have two portions. The MAS is connected to the top. Therefore I need to drill the bottom portion b/c then the air would come in the bottom, go through the filter, and then through the MAS. Right?
Secondly, I thought about where to drill for best results. I went out to drill the front (closest to the grill) but I have a HUGE battery in the way. How does cooler air get in this way when I have a battery in the way? Sorry this is so long but I don't want to do something I'll regret later.

Don't bother drilling your 94, you will be disappointed. Save yourself the trouble.

That is my advice...

FEW MORE QUESTIONS...

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS W/A STOCK 2000 4.0 SPORT?

IS IT ALSO SAFE TO ASSUME THIS SHOULD BE DONE IN COMBINATION WITH A K&N ELEMENT?

AND TO RECAP... CUT OUT SIDE FACING GRILL, WHICH WOULD ACTUALLY BE THE FRONT "LOWER HALF" GOOD! BECAUSE TOP HALF WOULD BE "TOP SIDE OF FILTER" BAD!

THANKS FOR READING!

JOHNNY V.:hammer:

...OOPS I POSTED QUESTION TWICE!
WON'T LET ME DELETE:shoot:

To answer your question Johnny V about it being done in an '01 Sport, it probably could be done, but like 2001ExpSport said, it probably won't help you gain that much power, if any, for he has the same type of car, so I guess he should know. That's just my guess though. And as RTStork pointed out, the airbox cutting method should only be used for street-driven X's, not off-roading.

Oh, and your caps-lock key is stuck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Oops sorry bout the caps!

My question is about a 2000. not a 2001...???
And mine is 2 wheel drive, I never take it off road.

Thanks,
Johnny

Back