Cut out coming to a stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cut out coming to a stop

schinner16

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
hey guys, first time posting at this forum....but i really need some help. over the past couple weeks my explorer has had this weird problem, coming to a stop with my foot only on the break the truck would kinda get jumpy and crazy only lasting for about 2 seconds...sometimes it would shutoff and sometimes it would just return to normal. yesterday on my way to work it died in the middle of traffic

(unfortunately it just started having troubles starting...and wouldnt turn over so i had to get it towed home...but i believe the starter went and the problems are not related)

it seems to me that it is some kind of transmission issue...also sometimes it would get jumpy and die right after it was put into gear from park. the issue started the day that i parked on a steep incline in our driveway....the truck has always seemed to shift kind of hard into any gear from park.

anyways the truck has 198,000 miles...has had a motor rebuild (long story), replaced radiator, new fuel pump, replaced alternator (completely different sound system took its toll)

thanks for any help

check your transmission fluid

When the truck dies and will not re-start, did you have power to the radio/dash, etc?

The starter will not crank?

Kind sketchy info but with what you've said about stalling when shifting from P or N to D, and the stalling at stops, you've got a torque convertor problem. It's not unlocking. Sort of like coming to a stop with a manual trans vehicle and not stepping on the clutch. Not much you can do except get a new one. I wouldn't even bother flushing it.

alright looked a little deeper into the issues...starter has gone bad which explains why i couldnt get it started. but i think you might be right about the torque converter....hmm ill have to talk to my father and bro (both mechanics) and see what they are thinking at this point.

thanks for the help guys :thumbsup:

also: trans fluid has been checked a few times and is good to go

Back