cut wires to visor/ now things dont work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cut wires to visor/ now things dont work

04ExplrSC

Reaction score
City, State
SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 2wd Eddie B
I have a 2004 Ford explorer eddie bauer. I was removing the drivers side visor to try to repair the bracket that broke. I cut the 2 black wires going to the visor. The explorer was running. Now the power windows, fuel guage, and radio no longer work. I think I have checked all the related fuses of the interior fuse box and replaced the #6 - 60amp fuse under the hood and they seem to be OK. I replaced the #6 - 60amp fuse with the wires to the visor still cut. Any suggestions or testing techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably blew a fuse when you cut those wires- carefully check all of your interior fuses. Use a multimeter, check each fuse individually for continuity. It is possible that you cut wires that effect many things- just reconnect the wires and see what it does.

Some things just don't work in a vehicle if wires are disconnected, my 92 of course is older, but....I went to unhook my factory speaker wiring in my 92 for the driver door to take it out and when I did, the pwr locks no longer worked or windows and had to plug that back in for it to work.

Thanks.

I went back and checked all the fuses with the multimeter. There were 2 that appeared good but checked out bad. After replacing those 2 and the 60amp under the hood again everything is back to normal. The autozone schematic was very helpful. That is the first time I have had 2 fuses that look fine actually be bad. Wow, that was some quick responses. I hope I can be as helpful in the future. Thank yall so much.

We all try and help as much as we can as soon as we can in here when someone is in need, glad ya got it working again :thumbsup:

Welcome to this forum! Check Autozone's website for a schematic of that circuit. It shows color codes of the wiring.
Would you by chance have a link to autozone schematics can't seem to find it thanks for any help

Would you by chance have a link to autozone schematics can't seem to find it thanks for any help
welcome! i havent come across auto zones schematics lately, or ever. maybe i havent looked deep enough, dunno :p if you can get your hands on the shop manual, its gold mine.

this is the one for the 2nd gen, not for yours though, figured id leave it here in case its of any use MEGA

So you did not have to reconnect those wires? Just making sure I read that right. Because I just did the same thing to mine and those are the exact same things that happened and I don't want to search for the wires

The two black wires one is + and one is - when you cut them together you create a short that should
Blow a fuse

Check your fuses interior fuse box

Back