CV Axle oil seal. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

CV Axle oil seal.

intelisevil

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sandy, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00XLT-SOHC,'99Mounty-5.0
I pulled my spindles and shocks when I did mine. It's more work, but you'll have unrestricted access. After 2 years my passenger side seal is leaking again, but I think it's because the axle bearing is worn, which allows too much play.

Can the axle bearings be replaced without removing the differential housing? I know it would be a tight working space just like when working with the axle seals. Has anyone done it?

I've spent about eight hours searching (off and on, it's so easy to get side tracked in this wonderful forum!) and haven't found anyone mention having replaced those bearings.

Thanks in Advance,

<

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I watched a show on Power Nation (probably the truck show) where they replaced the front axle bearings on something with the diff still in the truck. It was a similar setup to the Explorer. As I recall they either built or borrowed a special tool to remove the old bearing and install a new one.

<