• Register Today It's free!

CV axle or bearing?

slowautoxr

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport & '97 5.0 AWD
Trying to figure out if this noise is coming from the CV axle or the left front bearing. Maybe it's something else. At interstate speeds I hear a rumbling noise of sorts when turning right. I'm not too familiar with CV axle problems so I thought I'd post here. I was getting brake rotors today and mentioned this noise to the parts guy. He said it could be the bearing - which I suspected but also the CV axle. The bearing is about $125 and the CV axle is about 1/2 that. While doing the brakes, I looked at the boots and none were torn.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jack up the front end, and see if you can wiggle the tire in any direction. if there is play, its the bearing. these trucks eat up bearings. id say spin the tire while its in the air, but unless you want to drop the front dshaft, just look for play.

Jacked it up and checked for play. I really didn't feel any. The noise is not a constant noise on the right turns (at speed) but kinda cycles a bit. Sorta roar, roar, roar, roar until I straighten the wheels.

I would bet a left bearing then. Only way to truly tell is remove the hub and check it by hand. You can't load it enough checking the tire on a jack stand.

I was talking to a friend today. Axles make more clunking type noises - like driveshafts - which I've had experience with on another car. Hopefully the weather will hold out and I'll look at the LF bearing today or tomorrow.

Since I like answers in threads, I'll answer my own.

I finally replaced the front left hub today - a very easy job btw. The unit I took out didn't really seem bad, but I replaced it anyway. The noise seems to have gone away. The ABS light won't go out. I read elsewhere to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to reset it. I'll try that.

Since I like answers in threads, I'll answer my own.

I finally replaced the front left hub today - a very easy job btw. The unit I took out didn't really seem bad, but I replaced it anyway. The noise seems to have gone away. The ABS light won't go out. I read elsewhere to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to reset it. I'll try that.

The ABS probably has to do with the hub replacement. Make sure you put the sensor back properly.

The hub came with wiring. All I had to do was unplug the original and plug in the new one. After the initial install, I unplugged and plugged it back in. Waited 10 minutes to reconnect the battery and the light still is on. In the morning I'm going to replace the new cable with the old cable.

does your Ex have fog lights ??
might be possible you plugged the abs wire into the fog light hole,, that is a possibility on the earlier gen, plug looks the same,,

Yea it does but I didn't disconnect the fog lights.

I'm not ruling out the connection though. It didn't disconnect or connect with a satisfying click.

The ABS light is out now. Turns out it was the connector. I compared the old and the new and found that the pins in the new wire were not equal length - like the old wire. I pulled the short pin out to the same length as the one beside it and hoped that it would stay put. Apparently it did as the light is no longer on.

Back