Cv Axle stuck in Transmission | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cv Axle stuck in Transmission

I can understand if it's bent it would cause damage coming out but it still should be able to be removed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can understand if it's bent it would cause damage coming out but it still should be able to be removed.
If it’s bent it’s too large to fit out. If it happened when driving I’d turn it into my insurance as an accident.

They’ll probably claim lack of maintenance, though.

If it’s bent it’s too large to fit out. If it happened when driving I’d turn it into my insurance as an accident.

They’ll probably claim lack of maintenance, though.
What would bend it inside the PTU and transmission? I have no Crack in either casings. No signs of any leaking. If it had enough force to bend axel I should see signs of something

What would bend it inside the PTU and transmission? I have no Crack in either casings. No signs of any leaking. If it had enough force to bend axel I should see signs of something
Okay. Then why won’t it come out? Maybe you’ve broken something inside you can’t see. Probably time to torch the axle off and drop the PTU.

Okay. Then why won’t it come out? Maybe you’ve broken something inside you can’t see. Probably time to torch the axle off and drop the PTU.
I'm at something the technician did when he had the Axel out last.

when was that service with that tech? did they replace the axle at that time?

So you think it’s more likely someone else damaged it on install, and not you driving it until the front end literally fell apart?

What could they have possibly done? There’s nothing that holds it in. It’s not like they messed up a clip, or fastener. It doesn’t screw in.

So you think it’s more likely someone else damaged it on install, and not you driving it until the front end literally fell apart?

What could they have possibly done? There’s nothing that holds it in. It’s not like they messed up a clip, or fastener. It doesn’t screw in.
Every technician I have spoken with was persistent that it had ring. I have been trying to eliminate anything thing I can. The technician had that axel out to do the repairs for the transmission. If he read the wrong instructions and placed a ring on it because the instructions told him so. The control arm casting broke. Not the ball joint or any bushing. A casted piece of aluminum. I could see bushing and bearings brake but not the control arm casting. Pulled out of parking lot turned left the car jerked from the control arm breaking and car was stopped. Even with the control arm breaking the cv shaft pulled apart at the outside joint. I dont see enough force for the Axel being damaged enough for it not to be able to be removed

what did they do? i highly doubt that cuased the issues

what did they do? i highly doubt that cuased the issues

Screenshot_20220511-194725_Drive.jpg

I doubt the axle has a place for a ring.

i doubt that service is the cause, as i dont think they really messed w that, ill be honest and say it probably just stayed in the whole time. i thihnk the overheating and low fluid is to blame for this...

Update...axel was jammed into PTU. I dont see the break of the control arm doing that but only thing that can justify it. Used slide hammer, air hammer, and prying no avail to remove it. Had to beat the Axel out of PTU after removing the PTU from the Transmission. Was already planning on a new PTU so not a big deal, Thankfully.
End Result
New Control Arm assembly, Sway Bar link, CV shaft, PTU, Tires and alignment.

And the main wiring harness (thanks mouse)

for the harness tey the habanero tape from honda, works wonders! and good to hear its solved!

The PTU fluid should be changed regularly. As already mentioned, it is the weakest link in the drivetrain. Do the vent mod so you can fill it from up top. It holds a minimal amount of fluid and is located directly next to hot exhaust so keep that in mind.

Back