CV/Half-Shaft Replacement - Is $270 Fair??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV/Half-Shaft Replacement - Is $270 Fair???

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
Had the tranny rebuilt 6 months and 4 days ago...after doing my brakes this weekend i noticed that the driver's-side inner boot (CV - nearest the transfer case) is soaking wet. I can feel that the joint is SHOT! Took it to the shop and got a quote for a reman Half-Shaft installed for $270. Does this sound fair?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

remanufactured? go to a NAPA auto care and get a new one, which is guaranteed, and will probably be the same price, if not less.

-Drew

Oh man I just went through this nightmare, I replaced the whole thing, it was one part that inluded the inner & outer boot both all sealed and ready to go, was $67 with tax at a local Parts Plus. It took me about 3-4 hours but I didn't remove the housing from the axel, I took the new one off and worked the new unit into the old housing which added a lot of time, but anyways the part was 67 for me so you figure 200 for labor, if it was me I would try and tackle it yourself, not too complicated with a haynes manual ;)

Oh yeah I also had to return the old one or it was a $100 core charge ;)

LOL no kidding, I thought the same thing - LAME :rolleyes:

Did it myself, not too bad. Thing that sucks it I had to replace my hub and decided to do the half-shaft at the same time due to a leaking CV boot and then "thought" I could keep the half-shaft, but not when the core cost more than the part.

It's not a $67 part... just call your Ford dealer and price one. The core is worth a lot more than the cost to repack the CV bearings and reseal the boots - that's what you are paying the $67 for. For $270 they are probably charging $170 or so for labor. If you decide to do it yourself and have never done it before it will probably take you about two-three hours to do the job. It's up to you to decide whether you are capable of doing it yourself and that you have the right tools to do it (for example it takes a 1/2" breakover and huge socket to get the axle nut off).

Jefe did an excellent article on removing the front diffy and you can follow his instructions up to the point of removing the halfshafts to learn what you will have to do. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=53863

$67 is the price of the part. I work at Autozone and ours i believe is $67 plus a $60 core with a lifetime warranty. I put one on my driver's side last summer and its still doin fine. Quality looks just like the factory shaft. Most Autozones do have to order the CVs for Explorers unless you happen to live by a hub store (usually in larger cities).

O'reiley's Auto Parts and Advance Auto can also both get the CV for about that price because they both carry the same brand as Autozone.

The only reason NAPA and Ford cost more is because they both only carry brand new parts, but if you get rebuilt with a lifetime warranty you can't really go wrong. I know that you can get Autozone to pay for labor if one of their lifetime warranty parts fails and you have to have it replaced. The only catch is that you have to have it replaced by a reputable shop the first time around as well as the if it ever fails.

GJarrett said:
It's not a $67 part... just call your Ford dealer and price
[/url]

Just call Parts Plus and price, this part already comes sealed and packed - the inner & outer boot ready to go, brand new no repacking if he does it himseft...

Thanks for the feedback. I'm way too busy this week so i just dropped it at the Tranny shop. Turns out that the front driveshaft is shot and needs replacement. I may have tried tackling it myself but i've got no second vehicle if i screw it up. I'll do most repairs, but the tranny just isn't something that i've ever tried to tackle. Thanks again.

I have a front driveshaft for mine sitting in the back in a box. My old one had a vibration when accelerating.

The only place i found a reasonably cheap replacement was O'Reiley's Auto Parts. The replacement is a different design then the factory shaft. It has two U-Joints and a slip-Joint instead of one U Joint and a viscous coupling (is that what it is?) like the factory shaft. It comes with a note that claims that it is a better, more durable design. The one thing I do like about it is that both U Joints and the slip yoke are greasable which should lead to a longer life with routine maintenance.

I'll get pics soon and post them, so everyone can see the difference.

CougarX said:
The replacement is a different design then the factory shaft. It has two U-Joints and a slip-Joint instead of one U Joint and a viscous coupling (is that what it is?) like the factory shaft. It comes with a note that claims that it is a better, more durable design.

From what i've been told by the mechanic, it was already the one with the 2-U's and the slip-joint. Must have been replaced prior to my purchase in '01. We'll see if this one is greasable. I just want my truck back!!! Should be interesting to see how well it performs (vibration) at 90...just had the flowmaster installed and i'm geeked to get it on the highway!

Back