CV joint angle ajustments after a TT? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV joint angle ajustments after a TT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the CVs wear out faster then normal if there is a big TT? Yeah, probably. But considering you can get new ones from Autozone for $60-70 per side, and they come with a lifetime warranty, its not that big of a deal. Even if it reduced the mileage on the CVs to 20k miles before they went out, this is still not a bad deal. Replacing the CVs isn't that hard of a job and can be done in under 2 hours after you do it once. I think 2 hours spent every year or two, with no cost other then your own labor, is a good trade off for getting 3-4" of TT.

Granted, 3-4" of TT is not going to be the best off road performer in anything that requires articulation, but a most full lifts aren't for made rock crawling either. $140 for a one time CV purchase (lifetime warranty, blow em up as much as you want, autozone doesn't care) is a lot cheaper then spending 1600 on a full lift kit that doesn't get you a whole hell of a lot more lift or articualtion, especially if you just want the lift for looks and occasional offroading.

To each his own. If you don't like it, don't do it, but don't knock the other guy for trying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the problem I see is how do you get 3-4" of lift from the back to match the taller twist up front?
SOA = 5-6"
Shackles = 2"

New leafs?
downtravel is a good thing for daily driving. I say stick with 2-3" of TT, and trim if you want to stuff 33's more trim for 35's :) perhaps a 2" BL as well if thats your cup of tea.

I personally want long travel with no more torsions.

Dixon Brothers kit is where I am headed most likely.

so lets get this right....from now on 4wd "can" TT more than the 2 inches/22*...how much is up to you, but the more you go the worse it rides. I would say that ~3 inches would be dead center and allow for at least a little downtravel left.

how do you get 3" from the back?

Or for a plush ride a SOA and remove a leaf. :p

between AAL, DALL, shackles, SOA, removing a leaf, etc. there should be a way to get just about any height you want between -2" and 8" all using your stock leaf pack.

dual add a leaf? Holey moley I bet that rides nice.

I have superlift 4" leaf springs with warrior shackles in the rear of mine and nothing but tt up front Oh Yeah Baby :D

Not sure, never rode on one, but they make one specifically for an Explorer. I almost bought it from Summit, I think it was a little over a $100.

Another option is heavy duty rear shocks with helper springs. About the same as an AAL and much easier to install. Of course the only downfall with these it that you acn't get them in off-road quality shocks (bilstein, rancho, etc.).

i would think that using the superlift springs would be fine back there. The front is usually a bit higher on a stock ex anyway due to the sagging ass.

nissanboy is cranked up and so am i. i got almost three.. need stiffer bars to go higher.. but at 2.75 and 3 months on them with no problems.. i dont understand the magic "two" myself. I figured crank it.. then see what happens let off if need be.

My ass hurts just thinking about a double AAL but there are people that do it. It gets the job done.

I for one believed what I read about the 2" rule. However I just put 2" (1.75" after settling 1k miles) with shackles and AAL in the rear. I might go another inch (3" total) on the TT, see what happens. I too checked out autozone, 60 per side, lifetime warranty....hell I'll jack em up and replace em once or twice a year. I don't do MUCH off roading (would like to, but waiting for soa and sas before anything big.) so I'm not too worried about that aspect. I'm tired of having the dreaded "soccer mom" look to my truck. (hmm, im thinking cardomain project for tracking mileage on my soon to come 3-4" TT with superlift springs).

a friend actually lowered his X by removing a leaf and a small lowering block, wasn't hard to do, and easy to obtain any lift/lower height desired. I don't think I'd trust mono-leaf on my 4door tho haha.

you want 3" of lift in teh back of your Ex do some hybrid packs... i got 5 leafs plus an overload and a softer ride than most lifted trucks of any make or model. my leafs go in in this order.

Explorer Main leaf
Ranger main leaf (eyes cut off and beveled ends)
Explorer second leaf
Ranger 3rd leaf
Explorer3rd leaf
Overload

That pack with a Warior shackle lift ive awesome flex in the SUA configuration and matches my massive TT very well.

Well ultimately I am going for new 2"-3" custom leaf springs, AALs in the rear, and crank the hell out of my T bars. Well thats the plan anyway :D... whether it works will be the true test! I am staying way the f@&# away from a BL! I really don't like 'em! Also I am planning to get a hidden hitch for the front so I can have a removable winch! :D Later - Nate

greenmtnboy said:
I forgot to say that my X is 4wd. Anything less up here is just stupid!

So true Nate

nissanboy said:
Minei s about a 3.5" TT mabey a hair more. and im 4wd, and i wheel it hard, and i wheel it often, and i have yet to grenade a CV.
nissanboy said:
I have already deal with my wheel bearing problem by replacing them with f150 units from a 99 F150. This took some minor fabrication and had to rebuild my outer CV joint using half explorer parts and half F150 parts.
This is from this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118523&highlight=torsion+twist

So, do you have stock CVs or Hybrid Ex/F150 CVs? Since you have obviously modified your CVs for awhile (your mileage figures seem extreme!!!), why are you giving advice on how a stock CV will behave?

In this thread, dated January of 2004, you stated that you only had 2" of TT on your truck. Did you increase the TT after January of 2004 to 3.5", and have since driven 100K miles? That is a lot of miles to put on a vehicle in less than two years.

Oh, and on the "only state what you have experienced" crap.........I have ridden in a SLA Ranger with 4" of TT (pre-settle), and it rode like a bucket of bricks. I went out on a test drive with the owner for only a few miles.................he immediately returned to his shop and loosened the t-bar bolts.

i have about 2" of TT and i think its a little too stiff of a ride (i even set the ranchos to 1 and its still stiff).. i really can not imagine how 3" or 4" would feel.. at that point, you can probably just weld the lower A arm's pivot point at the crossmember ;)

I just mabey use to it but I don't think the ride is that bad in mine, no pillow underneath my seat either, quit being a bunch of girls and just max out your tt's :D

That was just a j/k don't go getting your panties in a bundle ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ExplorerSportNu said:
..quit being a bunch of girls...That was just a j/k don't go getting your panties in a bundle ...
WTF.. isnt that a contradiction? to say ur joking about the use of the word "girls" and then to mention "your panties" afterwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back