CV Joint bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV Joint bad?

cw212010

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer
Hi all,

Another new problem with my Explorer. When driving, my tracking has been off for a while so it pulls to the right. However the other day it started a bump, bump, bump noise when driving straight or turning left. I had been getting a squeak, squeak, squeak for a while that was noticeable when pulling away but was very faint.

The bump, bump, bump is steering related and almost reminds me of having something stuck in the tire.

I am thinking it is a bad CV joint - does this sound right?

If so, can I assume it is the left joint that needs replaced if it only causes issue when turning left?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking more along the lines of wheel bearing and/or ball joint on the steering control arm.

I assume you have a 4x4 since you're talking about front CV's. Unless the boot is ripped open and all the grease has come out they rarely go bad.

and a bad CV would not affect tracking...

It appears to be the lower control arm has shifted forward on the inner side. Hopefully just two new boots and pull it back!

Is it simply a case of unbolt the front carrier and shove a new boot in it and the one at the rear and have the car aligned? There are so many issues with this damn thing....

Back