• Register Today It's free!

CV Joint Boot!!

bmx_02@hotmail.

Reaction score
City, State
Danville, washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL
I need to replace the boot on my front left wheel, outside CV joint... Ive managed to remove The Spindle hub bearing assembly (axle nut, brake calipers, etc) and expose the cv joint, and now my only problem is disassembling the actual joint so i can install the new boot.. any one with a decent picture or explanation would be a great help, ive searched every where but i cant manage to find a decent description of the actual joint assembly!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I have seen, usually the entire CV axle is replaced. If you are having to replace the boot, then more than likely the whole CV shaft needs to be replaced. When I did my CV's it wasn't too bad of a job. And they were only about $60 a side.

not all the time, if you have to change a boot because it is damaged and you catch it befor **** gets in then its ok..

CV JOINT

True, you can replace just the boot, but you have to completely disassemble the joint to do so, and there's no guarantee that you won't go through all that work, only to have the joint fail (due to debris contamination/wear_ a couple weeks later.

For $50-$70, I'd personally replace the whole halfshaft with one from AutoZone with a lifetime warranty. Once you've got the outer joint freed from the hub assembly, just yank it out of the axle assembly. It's held in by a circlip.

But, to answer the question, the service procedure is pretty much a pain in the butt. You have to disassemble the entire inboard clamp to get the now outboard boot on.

From the service manual (pics won't copy over)....

Front Drive Halfshafts

Special Service Tool(s) CV Boot Clamp Installer
T95P-3514-A

Disassembly

Remove the front wheel halfshaft; refer to the procedure in this section.
CAUTION: Be careful not to damage the halfshaft boot.

Remove the two inboard boot clamps.

Slide the inboard halfshaft boot off the inboard CV joint housing.

Separate the CV joint from the CV joint housing.

Mark the shaft and the inboard CV joint to ease alignment during assembly.

Remove the snap ring.

Remove the CV joint.

Remove the inboard halfshaft boot from the shaft assembly.

Remove the two outboard boot clamps.

Remove the outboard halfshaft boot.

NOTE: If grease is contaminated, clean and inspect the joint for wear. Replace the outboard CV joint and shaft assembly if worn or damaged.

Inspect for contaminated grease.

-Joe

So ive decided on the cheapman fix, i went to canadian tire and bought a boot that comes in 2 half pieces and a bag of grease, so i slapped it on and there is a solvent that came with the boot and it basically melts and fuses the 2 halfs together and then you clamp... This is a bit of a late reply but its been about 3 or 4 months and the boot is still holdin, and if it dose go ... well i was gunna have to replace the halfshaft anyways!!!

Back