CV Joint Lifespan for a 2000 Sport??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV Joint Lifespan for a 2000 Sport???

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
I'm wondering if my CV joints are shot...or perhaps if I have another issue.

If I'm in 4 HI or 4 Low and try to turn somwhat sharply, I can definitely feel the wheels skipping. Is this the CV's going bad? If not, what might it be? What is the lifespan for an Explorer CV anyway? :scratch:

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats typical.. When your in 4wd and your turning.. the inside wheel will turn faster than the outside since it has to cover less distance. i'd suggest doing the brown wire mod to disable the auto 4wd.

Are you using 4wd on dry pavement? Cauz you're not supposed to. If the wheels are skipping, then your 4wd is working properly -- but stop engaging 4wd on dry pavement or else the transfer case chain is going to snapparoo, and the next thread we'll be reading about is your Explorer's booboo. So take it from this moderator, a liberal senator, owner of an exploder, stay off the four by four on your trips to the grocery store.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I never use 4WD on dry pavement. I'm definitely not one of "those" kinds of drivers. I discovered it one time when I forgot to turn it off after leaving my house where the roads were snowed over. Good to know this is normal then. And that for me was actually one of the reasons I did the Brown Wire Mod. To keep it in 2WD unless I want otherwise.

But speaking of the Brown Wire Mod, I did that this weekend. I remembered the skipping issue, so I knew that would be a way to test if I succeeded. After having to redo some wiring, I did of course.

I think I could be a proctologist now though because the splice for my brown wire was almost behind the instrument panel. Another inch or two further up and in and it would have been impossible. And that was after untaping the harness and tugging the brown wire down a little bit.

Anyway, thanks IZ and Blee for the advice!

Back