• Register Today It's free!

CV Joint Replacement

Dick Berg

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer EB 4L SOHC
I am planning on replacing both of the CV joints (half-axles) on my 1997 Explorer. It's the Eddie Bauer model and has the SOHC V-6 engine.
The Ford shop manual says to replace the "cir-clip" that holds the inner CV joint to the splined shaft on the front differential. It's like a snap-ring that gets compressed when the axle is installed on the male splined shaft and then drops into a groove in the interior of the female splined shaft on the axle.
I have gone to two Ford dealers and they haven't been able to identify the part number for this clip.
If anyone can help me out in identifying this part, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dick Berg
dick.berg@ngc.com
408 531 2144

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should come with the new CV shaft. Any good driveline shop should be able to provide you with a replacement, as should any AutoZone.

-Joe

When I had my front axle apart (rebuild - new bearings, seals, locker), I tried to find these circlips also. I even had an AC Delco part number but could never find them. My friend that works in the local Ford store's parts dept. looked it up and the circlip only comes with the inner axle shaft :eek: . So, they're (apparently) not available. I (obviously) reused mine and I could still feel them 'click' when the CV shaft was installed. I'm not quite sure of their purpose. After all the CV shaft is captured by the axle tube and the hub/spindle.

Yeah, you *can* re-use them, and tons of people on here have, but they're not a hard part to find. Anyplace that does drivelines for front wheel drives should have them readily available.

The main reason to replace them is that sometimes they get gouged or scored when removing the inner joint from the housing. Once they're gouged-up, there's a possibility that the inner joint could dislodge itself from the axle shaft and walk out. Depending on how far out it came, how far the wheel was turned, suspension compression etc, it *could* potentially do some damage to the joint, shaft, and/or the axle housing itself if the joint bound-up from the tight angle. More than likely it would snap the inner joint, or bust the shaft, but you never know. (nor do I care to find out!!)

the new axle will come with them.
I promise.

Ignore what I said in the other thread. I misunderstood what you meant.

Back