CV Joint / Transfer Case Leak ?!?!?! | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

CV Joint / Transfer Case Leak ?!?!?!

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
I started a major brake overhaul on my '96 4.0 4wd Saturday (in stages, front then rear) and finished moments ago. Upon driving it yesterday morning, i had a terrible vibration problem on the highway. I've had caliper bolts snap on me so i assumed it was that. Took it apart and put it back together with some loc-tite. Vibration was still there. Now there is a terrible clack-clack-clack noise when slowing down and i just realized that there's a massive "wet" area on/around the driver's-side boot (CV?) nearest the tranny. Only the inner boot is wet. I had the tranny rebuilt 6 1/2 months ago. Is this something that should be under the warranty? I assume they had to remove this part from the tranny and put it back on. I've got a huge meeting tonight and need to drive some 30mi round trip...

Worst-case scenario...i'm driving down the highway doing 60mph...WHAT COULD HAPPEN???? I cannot be without the truck tonight...

<

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
BuffaloXplorer said:
i just realized that there's a massive "wet" area on/around the driver's-side boot (CV?) nearest the tranny. Only the inner boot is wet. I had the tranny rebuilt 6 1/2 months ago. Is this something that should be under the warranty? [/I] I cannot be without the truck tonight...
I am confused by this statement. The CV joints/boots are at each end of the halfshafts which go from the front differential to the wheels.

<

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
Sorry for the confusion...it's the boot nearest the front differential....

i just got back from picking up the wife and it sounds like a metal card in the spokes of a bicycle, and it seems to disappear after the shift from second to third. there's literally NO vibration/noise after i reach 30-35mph, but after i slow down it reappears.

How much should this cost to rhave repaired if it's more serious than just the boot?? i don't mess with the tranny.

<

Cali' Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0
Sorry to say this, but if its clicking that much, the CV Joint itself is shot. That means you have to have the whole thing replaced.

I think the CV Half Shaft runs about $60 - $100 a piece and then install... I see places all the time out here advertising CV Replacements for $60.00 (not including parts of course). You will have to shop around... and if possible, find a shop that does free inspections just to confirm this is the problem before you drop dough on it, but that's a tall tell sign of a CV Joint going.

Good luck.

<