CV Joint / Transfer Case Leak ?!?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV Joint / Transfer Case Leak ?!?!?!

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
I started a major brake overhaul on my '96 4.0 4wd Saturday (in stages, front then rear) and finished moments ago. Upon driving it yesterday morning, i had a terrible vibration problem on the highway. I've had caliper bolts snap on me so i assumed it was that. Took it apart and put it back together with some loc-tite. Vibration was still there. Now there is a terrible clack-clack-clack noise when slowing down and i just realized that there's a massive "wet" area on/around the driver's-side boot (CV?) nearest the tranny. Only the inner boot is wet. I had the tranny rebuilt 6 1/2 months ago. Is this something that should be under the warranty? I assume they had to remove this part from the tranny and put it back on. I've got a huge meeting tonight and need to drive some 30mi round trip...

Worst-case scenario...i'm driving down the highway doing 60mph...WHAT COULD HAPPEN???? I cannot be without the truck tonight...

BuffaloXplorer said:
i just realized that there's a massive "wet" area on/around the driver's-side boot (CV?) nearest the tranny. Only the inner boot is wet. I had the tranny rebuilt 6 1/2 months ago. Is this something that should be under the warranty? [/I] I cannot be without the truck tonight...
I am confused by this statement. The CV joints/boots are at each end of the halfshafts which go from the front differential to the wheels.

Sorry for the confusion...it's the boot nearest the front differential....

i just got back from picking up the wife and it sounds like a metal card in the spokes of a bicycle, and it seems to disappear after the shift from second to third. there's literally NO vibration/noise after i reach 30-35mph, but after i slow down it reappears.

How much should this cost to rhave repaired if it's more serious than just the boot?? i don't mess with the tranny.

Sorry to say this, but if its clicking that much, the CV Joint itself is shot. That means you have to have the whole thing replaced.

I think the CV Half Shaft runs about $60 - $100 a piece and then install... I see places all the time out here advertising CV Replacements for $60.00 (not including parts of course). You will have to shop around... and if possible, find a shop that does free inspections just to confirm this is the problem before you drop dough on it, but that's a tall tell sign of a CV Joint going.

Good luck.

Back