Cv joint

halo15

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mountain 5.0
Looking to purchase a CV assembly for my 99 exp sport. Noticed a bunch of brands like toughone from advanced and cardone, empi, DTA etc.... from rock auto

Anyone have a good recommendation on which one/brand to go with?

Thanks

Dave PA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Normally I would reccommend Motorcraft, but at five times the price :eek: It's very hard to justify spending that much.

I've never used any of those brands for CVs, but the Cardone Select would be my choice. I've heard good things about them, and they seem pretty proud of their products. Sounds good from the description.

I would also check out Raxles. They don't have online ordering, but I've head nothing but great reviews of their axles and customer support.

Is the joint damaged, making clicking noises etc. or has the boot just torn?
If you've caught the boot tare early and the joint is still in good shape, a boot kit is all you need. It's a messy job, but easy to do and costs substantially less. It also allows you to keep the OE equipment in service.

im pretty sure I have a cardone one in my rig. Never had an issue with it. The other side is still motorcraft. Hanging in there after all these years.

I go for price and warranty with those things. 1 hour job to change a halfshaft..

I used a cardone CV on my 98 mounty. Had it installed at 150K when I bought it and it was still going strong at 165K when I sold it.

Back