• Register Today It's free!

CV joints in the front end?

plrs x45

Reaction score
City, State
Joliet, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt V8
Hello to all. I have a quick question. I have a 98 XLT V8 with AWD. The second I stop accelerating (off the gas) I hear a whine from the front end. this sound is only when I am off the gas. I had a ford tech tell me that it may be the CV joints. Could this be true? Are CV joints hard to replace? What else could it be? I have already relpaced the hubs and all the oils in the front end. Thank you for all your responses.

strange that no1 has replied anything yet - but to answer a few of your questions:

From what I've read, the inner joints are serviceable but the outter joins (since every half shaft has 2 joints) is not serviceable (you can remove/replace the boot but thats about it).

Replacing a half-shaft isnt particularly too difficult. The problem is getting stuff out of the way so that you can pull the shaft out - this includes removing the brake callipers, rotor, disconnecting the steering knuckle from the upper control-arm, removing the hub from the knuckle, disconnecting the bottom of the shock, disconnecting the steering ball joint from the knuckle ... The process doesnt take very long since its all nuts and bolts that you're removing. Having a 2 or 3 jaw puller is very helpful is getting rusted rotors off. Separating the upper control arm from the knuckle can be difficult sometimes - but a big enough hammer usually does the trick - dont bend the arm though - use a piece of 2x4 or something between the hammer and the arm.

BTW I have the same whine - I'll try to take a look at it this weekend. If I solve the problem, then i'll post something.

Thanks for the reply. Keep me in the loop on this.

Back