Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
So I pulled the passenger side cylinder head on my 2003 4.6 L which of course promply filled three of the cylinders with anti-freeze.

Cylinder one was at top dead center, cylinder two, down a little bit, cylinder three down farther, cylinder four presumably down to the bottom.

Four hours later I went to remove the anti-freeze from the cylinders and only cylinders two and three still had antifreeze. Cylinder number four was completely "dry".

I'm guessing this tells me that I have bad rings in cylinder number four. I thought I had a blown head gasket on both sides which I still believe I did as anti-freeze was going out the exhaust, but I'm wondering if I don't have bad rings and one piston on the other side as well.

The engine has 200,000 miles on it, should I junk the engine or pull it and put new rings on the pistons and see how it goes?

Bought car for $400. Was hoping to keep the engine as a spare.

So, I guess the water test isn't exactly accurate. The cylinder wall may be bad at point of compression only.

I performed this "leak test" on cylinders one and six. One went down a half inch over 2.5 hours and six didn't move. The significance here? One had good compression and six didn't (see original CL ad testing results.) Put cylinder four back at BDC and filled with coolant. After 2.5 hours later, it's at the same level.

This kind of thing makes me wonder if four originally drained itself or if I did. Complete brain fart?

Anyway, going to proceed with just slapping on new head gaskets.

IMG_8200.PNG

Back