cylinder 5 & 6 !!!!!

jelkins

Reaction score
City, State
fayetteville north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt 4x4 & 02 2wd
cylinder 5 & 6 !!!!! (SOLVED)

so i have a couple of problems that might be tied to eachother im going to start at the beginning.....
ok so i bought an engine from the local pull a part and had it in, in less than eight hours started right up good great! i was happy considering the fact that it was a shot in the dark. now the problems there is a loud ticking on the passenger side a local mech i talked to said it was just a lifter cool no problem ok it also has a very noticable miss so what i did was sprayed some starter fluid around all the vacuume lines and upper intake there wasnt any noticable changes so im guessing that its not a vacuume leak so i started to pull spark plug wires i started at cyl 6,5,4,3,2,1
in cyl 6 and 5 there wasn't any noticable change but there was spark to the plugs for sure and one by one the rest of the plugs bout killed the engine which leaves me to believe that i have a problem between 5 & 6 so that being said could it be a fuel problem??? where do i start. i can change out parts and engines all day but when it comes to troubleshooting ya im more of a generator mech/ networking guy lol any help is great.

first idea was to take the whole upper and lower intake from the old engine w/ injectors i know that are good and just swap them out, and see if the injectors are my problem. my issues are more with the electrical side.
(my reasoning i painted the upper and lower intake black, block and heads black, motor mounts red valve covers red pully's red and the oil pan red, just need to put the painted intake and fuel rail in with the old injectors)

my plans are the get this motor running good enough to drive for now as soon as taxes roll around im going to rebuild the old engine in which my piston rings were bad on. like the works block and heads new every thing just have to wait on the money

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take out those two spark plugs after running it for a minute. If their wet with fuel, injectors are probably fine. Then I would check those plugs for arcing tthrough the porcelin, and finally check the compression on them. It's surely got to be one of the three, unless the wires are swapped around;)

ha ha birdy your funny i think you got me maybe like five mins ago before reading you post i was retracing my steps and in my manual i would like to believe i read the wrong diagram for the firing order and had the plugs for those 2 cylinders switched i was just about to go crazy like to the point of using my x as a target for a shotgun. thanks for the input it was much appreciated now since i solved that problem im going to move on to the ticking im led to believe is a lifter. since your down to help i have a quick question for you...... if i have a collapsed lifter would i be able to pin point it by simply wiggling the rocker arms to see which one moves and pin that as the location of the jacked up lifter. im going to assume its collapsed by how loud it is but it might not be. or is there an easier way??

I think I have only had one lifter collapse on me, in an old trans am, and the rocker was loose on it. But, if it's just not pumping up fully, you can't tell looking at the rockers. I would just hold it at like 1500 rpm for like 5 minutes, this has worked for me in engines that have sat a while.

Your ticking is more like a rattling correct? It kinda get loud then stop and repeats itself until the engine is warm?

If your answer is yes:
Push rods are worn down. VERY common on 1st gens. Mine does it, I just let the engine warm up before I go anywhere, so it's not as annoying. The only way to fix it is to replace the push rods. If you're going to rebuild the motor at tax time, I'd just hold off to then.

On a side note, I just Fayetteville in Feb this year. I bought my Explorer there in Dec '10, and I'm a 91B. Small world!

Well the ticking is constant hot and cold, and just curious what will holding it at 1500 rpm do? are you thinking it might loosen things up? I'll see if I can get a video uploaded so you can all hear. Some time this week I'm going tear this thing apart and check the rocker arms and pushrods possibly go ahead and put all these new intake upper and lower gaskets on and I guess that will let me get a look at the lifters and maybe determine weather I should wait and get new lifters and a head gasket or 2 probably do both heads while I'm in there.

Mr. Cribb are you saying you left there in feb or got there in feb? Who are or we're you with? I just left there in sept I'm at Gordon now changing my mos to 25n nodal network system operator maintainer in Bragg I was with 82 CAB E co 3/82 they just deployed again. When I firs got there in 09 they told me not to unpack I was goin to afghan a month out of AIT. Lol

Well the ticking is constant hot and cold, and just curious what will holding it at 1500 rpm do? are you thinking it might loosen things up? I'll see if I can get a video uploaded so you can all hear. Some time this week I'm going tear this thing apart and check the rocker arms and pushrods possibly go ahead and put all these new intake upper and lower gaskets on and I guess that will let me get a look at the lifters and maybe determine weather I should wait and get new lifters and a head gasket or 2 probably do both heads while I'm in there.

If it is what I'm thinking (push rods) it'll rattle louder. I dunno if it causes further damage, so I don't rev mine to 1500 to make it(rattling) go away.

Mr. Cribb are you saying you left there in feb or got there in feb? Who are or we're you with? I just left there in sept I'm at Gordon now changing my mos to 25n nodal network system operator maintainer in Bragg I was with 82 CAB E co 3/82 they just deployed again. When I firs got there in 09 they told me not to unpack I was goin to afghan a month out of AIT. Lol

I left F-ville in Feb '11 to Campbell. I was on the "other side" (Coscom) from Sept '08 to Feb '11, 18th QM Det.... I hated that unit. It has since disbanded as of a few months ago.

We supported a lot of 82nd with our Kalmar's moving containers and such. We were one of the few units that had flat bed semi-trailers and trucks. Needless to say we ran lots of missions for 82nd. Our big deployment was to Haiti in Feb-Mar '10.

Gotta love the "don't unpack your sh** you're deploying" comment.... NOT!!

I would only rev it if I thought it was a lifter not pumping up, but if that's not it, then there should be a loose rocker that you should be able to identify. and changing a couple pushrods or even a couple rockers would be pretty gravy, so hopefully that is you're problem.

@ cribb so are you still in campbell i have a boy over there from 3/82 spc bishop huge head you wouldnt miss it lol he use to be a navy boy
@ birdy im not too sure what the sound of a lifter not pumping up is but i know mine is pretty loud i know im definitely not going to be able to tear it a part til after thksgiving my son is having surgery the day before and i would have to drive the wifeys 02 ex to work and this week is too crazy for that but im going to post a video tonight maybe if i can get a good video for you all to hear.

It's not the pushrods that wear the most, it's the rockers themselves, they used metal that apparently wasn't hard enough and so they wear down and get indentations from the valves. The pushrods do wear too, but that's usually either a side effect from the wearing/worn rockers, or due to poor oiling since it's not easy for oil to get into the space between the pushrod and rocker.

The engine in mine has the same tick, and it could be a lifter for sure, but so far it's only been bad from using Castrol Edge 5W-30, which shears down to a 5W-20 viscosity, and thinner oil seems to make the noise more prevalent.

Sorry I have been busy with the honey do list and the holiday but yes I finally torn it apart again ( I think this is maybe 5th time ) and I did figure that the rockers were bad and boy were they my problem now lies with the lifter hmmm should I dig deeper I don't know. Good thing is while I've been tearing this thing down and putting it back together I have been able to reuse the old gaskets ( testing purposes only ) so I saved money not having to use my new ones til I was ready I think what I might do is swap out these rockers with some way better ones not new but better an see if that helps. Thank you all for your help and hope you all had a good thanksgiving

And no more tapping thanks for all of your help

i just used the rockers off my old engine all though eventually im sure im going to have to replace the lifters i can still hear the tapping a little being cold its just normally on start up but im thinking that the badly worn rocker is right above a slightly sticky lifter so im going to run seafoam through it for a few oil changes befor i make that decision but we will see.

would you happen to know any thing about the fan clutch system. before i swapped the engine my engine was slightly quiet now it sounds like a hmmwv after it gets warmed up and the fan kicks on you know how they get really loud. i do know my blade is cracked in several places and i can spin it by hand but it is a little stiff now it was cracked on the previous engine aswell im thinking for sure its the clutch and im working on getting another 1 what do you think

Back