Cylinder Heads,Intake Manifold, My truck!help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cylinder Heads,Intake Manifold, My truck!help

mannypheonix

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT
I have a 94 Explorer XLT, I took apart the engine because the head gaskets were done, but I discovered the cylinder heads were cracked. The intake manifold was corroded and I might need new Exhaust manifolds as well.

Im 17 I start college in mid january. So im wanting to fix it for school. i have about $600
so what parts would be needed? I will post pictures of everything soon. The chiltons repair guide is very detailed I think I can go off that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you need new a new intake manifold, I have a set here I can let go cheap.. and I'm < 150 miles away from you (depending on where in Phx you are).

For heads, I've had bad luck with Bills cylinder head exchange out of phx (twice now). They aren't like they used to be so I just steer people AWAY from them now.

You can buy new heads from alabama cylinder heads for a decent price and I "think" some people have been buy them from an ebay type person but I dont' remember the name of the seller.

You will also need new head bolts. Its going to be tight getting heads and the parts etc for < $600.. its gonna be very close after gaskets etc.

~Mark

I will be getting more money before I need the truck. Can I buy heads from a junkyard? I was also told the gasket and silicone would seal the corrosion on the intake manifold.

With all those parts, it might make more sense to get a complete running engine from a junkyard; especially if you can get a warranty. I would say a good motor should run somewhere between $300-$500.

I will be getting more money before I need the truck. Can I buy heads from a junkyard? I was also told the gasket and silicone would seal the corrosion on the intake manifold.

You won't find good heads in a yard. I went through 2 sets before I gave up on junkyard heads. Heck, I have 4 heads here that are junk (not sure why I'm keeping them).

If you can find a running motor with at a 30 day waranty, that would be cheaper in the short run.

They do run upwards of $500 but many times they don't come with a waranty at all.

~Mark

The pick-n-pull in Chandler is selling full engines for $175 now and they seem to have a few explorers in there.

The pick-n-pull place in Tucson is selling them for $99.

I know the warranty for the one in chandler is 30 days, or you can pay 30% more and get a 1 year waranty (parts only, and if they don't have a replacement motor you get a credit, which I dont' like).

http://www.picknpull.com/locations.aspx?View=Detail&ID=41

~Mark

Back