• Register Today It's free!

D Lock - CLE

Dan Lough

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT with the V-8. There has been a loud whining noise coming from the engine and I was told by a couple of people that it was most likely the power steering pump. On Sunday 11/1/15 I replaced the power steering pump with a new one from Auto Zone. I reviewed the Auto Zone YouTube video for suggestions. I also rented the Auto Zone tool for pulling the power steering pulley. I followed all instructions by the book and successfully replaced the power steering pump with the new one. The problem...the noise is still there. Looks like it wasn't the power steering pump and I just wasted several hours of my weekend for nothing. Any suggestions on what this noise could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what it could be without hearing it, but water pump, idler pulley, tensioner, alternator and a.c. compressor could all be the culprit. Take a length of hose, hold one end to your ear, and put the other end near those various components, and you should be able to hear where it's coming from a little easier. And welcome to the forum!

Thank you for your suggestion. I will get some hose and check it out.

If the hose doesn't work for you, you could try an mechanic's stethoscope, Advance Auto has a cheap one at $10 , AutoCraft Automotive Stethoscope. Better ones run $25 or more. I have one that was good at reaching down to find a bad idler pulley.

If the hose doesn't work for you, you could try an mechanic's stethoscope, Advance Auto has a cheap one at $10 , AutoCraft Automotive Stethoscope. Better ones run $25 or more. I have one that was good at reaching down to find a bad idler pulley.

Thank you for the idea. I'll try this out. Much appreciated my friend.

Back