• Register Today It's free!

D Shackles...where to put them?

djblumberg

Reaction score
City, State
East Islip, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hello everybody, long time lurker here first time poster, so pardon me if I post this thread in the wrong forum area. Anyways, I've recently been considering removing my trailer hitch (class ii that I don't use for anything anyway) and installing some D-ring shackles inside of the holes in the frame obviously intended for a hitch. I'm coming here to ask if anybody sees any foreseeable problems with this and if theres any purpose to even doing this as I'd like the shackles here for recovery reasons. Thanks all!

By the way I figured i'd introduce myself with a picture of the beauty
akdqaFxxlBi1XYMeWjowkYCnEPx0iUW-ZuJIudIy-br_BqICf1KhB9b3NY8Y0UwP6aGj97xpOhhuM6o=w1908-h1296-rw

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RangerX,

I only have the 1 1/4" receiver currently. I'm kicking around putting on a 2" receiver but if my original plan is possible I would prefer that because I believe two d ring shackles would help spread a weight load better. Additionally, I don't ever tow anything and two d ring shackles would be significantly cheaper though.

Spread the weight load better, as in use them both at the same time? Haven't seen that done.
If you do use the frame holes, is the frame boxed at that location, or C channel? If it's C, I would think about reinforcing it in some way, it's a heavy vehicle to pull out. Is there a frame crossmember close? Sorry, not familiar with a Gen 3 frame.

Spread the weight load better, as in use them both at the same time? Haven't seen that done.
If you do use the frame holes, is the frame boxed at that location, or C channel? If it's C, I would think about reinforcing it in some way, it's a heavy vehicle to pull out. Is there a frame crossmember close? Sorry, not familiar with a Gen 3 frame.
I think when possible I would lean towards using both shackles at once to avoid any sort of frame damage...not sure if that would be beneficial at all or not. I do believe it is boxed at my intended location, i'll have to check in the morning for specifics.

I wouldn't recommend removing the receiver to add the D-rings because the receiver itself is a cross-member. If you can install the D-rings without removing it then you'd have a really solid setup. Also if I recall correctly the receiver supports the bumper step. There should be some various holes in the bottom of the frame rails that you could probably use to install the D-rings or tow rings.

I wouldn't recommend removing the receiver to add the D-rings because the receiver itself is a cross-member. If you can install the D-rings without removing it then you'd have a really solid setup. Also if I recall correctly the receiver supports the bumper step. There should be some various holes in the bottom of the frame rails that you could probably use to install the D-rings or tow rings.
Thanks a lot thats what ill look into. Thinking about it the reciever is most definitely the cross link underneath the bumper step.

I have the adapter RangerX posted, and the F150 tow hooks up front.

Back