• Register Today It's free!

D35/8.8 Spline Count??

CarFreak146

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT
ok, I've heard different numbers on this.... 1994 XLT....

Do the front axle shafts have a 27 or 28 spline count??

Also, on our 8.8's, is it a 28 or 31 spline count?

Thanks for you help.
--Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm not sure about the fronts, but the rear on all X's 8.8 is 31 count, r u looking to regear or lock? just curiuos

both... I'm gonna lock the front, and double up the packs on my rear l/s

nice, i'm gearing and locking this summer, hopefully next couple of months, here u ever go down to tuttle creek?? saw some kc guys went there, don't know where it is though, would be interested in making a run there sometime, prob need my lockers and some other stuff though,def some better tow pts, good luck

yeah, I'm at Tuttle about every other week.

So what is the front spline count for a '94 XLT? 27 or 28?

don't know honestly, but if u are regearing, all u need to know is Dana35 IFS, and for lockers the same thing, i've never seen any place that sells locker for the front state the spline count for the 35IFS, unless u have come across a site i haven't, now for the rear 8.8 i know spline count is posted for every locker for our rear end, which is 31, sorry couldn't answer ur question exactly,

I need to know the spline count for the front end, b/c once I lock it, I'm gonna buy some spare shafts, and on those, you need to know the spline count.... Somebody's GOTTA know!! Where's Alec at? He's an Explorer Genious.

--Ryan

I tried searching but couldn't find anything???

me too.... That's why I started the thread. I've also heard different on the net too

found it, dana 35 ifs 27 spline
ran across it while looking up locker prices, hope it helps ,later

are you sure that its a 27 spline though, why I'm asking is b/c I've been to some sites that sell lockers that say that the D35 in the 91-94 Explorers are 27 spline, and other sites say its a 28 spline. I guess I'll just have to take a shaft out a count.

Somebody's GOTTA know this though!

Pretty sure its 27-spline up front on 1st gens

Thank you very much sir! I REALLY appreciate it, wasn't looking forward to tearing apart the front end just to count them.

--Ryan

Back