How to: - D35 C-clip Eliminator, Made Easy | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: D35 C-clip Eliminator, Made Easy

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I've been running the spring setup for 15+ years
I have an ARB locker and NO C CLIP

First I welded the dust cap in the slip yoke and ran the spring inside the yoke. After 3-4 attempts at that setup (would last a year or so until the spring collapsed or I blew out the dust cap)
I modded that setup a few times and it worked very well....but once in a while I would have to fix it.
Now I am running the spring setup shown above, using the Echo weed whacker spring and it works AWESOME
I have a shock boot covering the whole thing, which also fit perfectly.

I have heard that some lockers will allow the C clip, some will not. I have a 93 explorer dana 35 and early ARB locker..and could NOT fit the C clip, whereas my friend Brett has an ARB and his d35 ttb DOES have the C clip? Something about a later version of the ARB.
I actually prefer to NOT have the C clip because it makes servicing the pass side axle shaft U joints, slip yoke, and diff seal SO MUCH EASIER.
The spring holds the axle in the diff very very well.

In Moab in 2007 I think it was I hit a whoop going a little to fast and my pass side shaft assembly came apart broke the yoke. With no way to fix it on the trail I just zip tied the axleshaft to the beam and ran the next 6 days without a pass side axleshaft. No problem.....I still had 3wd :)

Thank you for such a quick reply especially to such a dated thread. The gist I'm getting is, if you want to and it'll fit, use the c clip. If it won't, either utilize one of the eliminator methods or stay open diff! I have ordered the spring and will opt to use it if the c clip will not fit. Once again thank you to all for your posts and assistance. This entire forum has been my go to bible for all thing's Exp related!

I did the TTB spring and collar C clip eliminator mod, years ago. Tens of thousands of miles put on it since.

Auto locker, gear swap, and wheeled hard, with No ill effects from doing it.

Back