How to: - D35 C-clip Eliminator, Made Easy | Page 7 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

How to: D35 C-clip Eliminator, Made Easy

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
I've been running the spring setup for 15+ years
I have an ARB locker and NO C CLIP

First I welded the dust cap in the slip yoke and ran the spring inside the yoke. After 3-4 attempts at that setup (would last a year or so until the spring collapsed or I blew out the dust cap)
I modded that setup a few times and it worked very well....but once in a while I would have to fix it.
Now I am running the spring setup shown above, using the Echo weed whacker spring and it works AWESOME
I have a shock boot covering the whole thing, which also fit perfectly.

I have heard that some lockers will allow the C clip, some will not. I have a 93 explorer dana 35 and early ARB locker..and could NOT fit the C clip, whereas my friend Brett has an ARB and his d35 ttb DOES have the C clip? Something about a later version of the ARB.
I actually prefer to NOT have the C clip because it makes servicing the pass side axle shaft U joints, slip yoke, and diff seal SO MUCH EASIER.
The spring holds the axle in the diff very very well.

In Moab in 2007 I think it was I hit a whoop going a little to fast and my pass side shaft assembly came apart broke the yoke. With no way to fix it on the trail I just zip tied the axleshaft to the beam and ran the next 6 days without a pass side axleshaft. No problem.....I still had 3wd :)

Jerime92

Reaction score
City, State
Buckeye, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994, Explorer XLT 4x4
Thank you for such a quick reply especially to such a dated thread. The gist I'm getting is, if you want to and it'll fit, use the c clip. If it won't, either utilize one of the eliminator methods or stay open diff! I have ordered the spring and will opt to use it if the c clip will not fit. Once again thank you to all for your posts and assistance. This entire forum has been my go to bible for all thing's Exp related!

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
I did the TTB spring and collar C clip eliminator mod, years ago. Tens of thousands of miles put on it since.

Auto locker, gear swap, and wheeled hard, with No ill effects from doing it.

96AWD5.LOL

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT 4x4 - Red Velvet