D35 C-clip Eliminator | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

D35 C-clip Eliminator

sure looks like the last coil on that spring, (opposite side of the new retainer collar) could easily climb out of its hole and go over the short stub shaft??

My c clip eliminator is inside my slip yoke, I welded up the dust cap and run the spring internally...works great!

You can see in picture #2 that almost the entire first coil is actually "gripping" the land all the way around. To get the spring off it's "perch", I had to actually bend it about 90 degrees and pull pretty hard to get it off. It's quite secure. I don't think it's quite as stiff a spring as the OP's or your internal spring. I went with the external because I didn't want to take up any of the spline travel inside the yoke. On my setup, when the spline is completely bottomed in the spline bore, the spring still has about 1mm between each coil. Thanks for your input, obviously the internal method works as well since you must have put many miles on it since the mod.

later,

Dave R.

many many miles yes and it wook 4 springs to get the right tension and length. One came out looking more like a coil then a spring LOL

I also busted the welds on my first dust cap doing a little high speed stuff in Moab :) ran the rest of that trip in 3wd

I love the external retainer! great idea and execution by both parties!

Back