• Register Today It's free!

D35 regear; case change?

smolt

Reaction score
City, State
Smuggler's Cove, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 RBV (RIP)
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board. I just did two searches for info on regearing the D35 and didn't find what I was looking for. I'm hoping someone here can ansswer my question.

I'm rebuilding and regearing a D35 TTB. I called Randy's in WA and Six States in Anchorage for info and pricing (I'm in Alaska). I've also checked 4-Wheel Parts online. Randy's was selling Yukon gears; Six States and 4-Wheel Parts are selling Dana gears.

The salesman at Randy's told me I would need a case change to go to 4.10--the axle came with 3.27 gears--but the salesman at Six States and the info on the 4-Wheel Parts web site say no case change is necessary. Is there a difference between Yukon and Dana gear sets that would require a case change?

Thanks,

dave

I've never heard of a case change going to 4.10s or even 4.56s...

Yes there is a carrier break on the Dana 35. The break is 3.27:1 and 3.55:1! I just posted the other day a thing on Carrier Breaks. Go to the search option and type in Carrier Breaks -- and my post should pop up. But basically, if your on anything from 3.27:1 or lower (numerically) and are trying to put 4.10s or lower -- then you will need a new carrier (i.e. junk yard). If your goin from say a 3.55:1 or higher (numerically) ratio to a 3.27:1 -- you'll need a new carrier. Hope it helps!

-Drew

Thanks for the feedback. FWIW, I checked with some other shops. What they told me was there is a difference in the case size (carrier break) for the Dana 35 rear axle that came on some Jeeps, but not for the Dana 35 TTB. All of the guys that told me there was no case break were Dana/spicer dealers if that means anything.

DMB, I'll look up that thread. :thumbsup:

dave

Back