D44 conversion with a '66-'77 Bronco? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

D44 conversion with a '66-'77 Bronco?

Hi, I have been researching for a while about doing a D44 swap. I ran across this article on the rangerstation.com saying that for a ranger, bII, and Explorer you can use the axle off of a '66-'77 Bronco. But I had thought that people on this site said to use a '78 or '79 Bronco front axle, however the axle would need to be trimmed down in width to fit an X. Wouldn't the older style be simpler to install because it is shorter, or should I stick with the '78-'79?

Here is the article http://www.therangerstation.com/Dana44Swap.html

Does anyone have a step by step write-up like this article for the stupid people like me?:p

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is what I plan on doing soon!

To: offroader_69_me

What year Bronco or F150 are you going to use?

between 73-77 EB pre73 had a dana 30 which is a no no, anyway have to find it first 76 and 77 would be best as they had stock disk brakes! also depends on the $$$$ for said axle will also be doing 9" out of same vehicle or equivalent!

Do you know if you will have to cut the axle down at all to fit an X? What is the difference? Are you planning to cut it at all?

I am using the ones from an Early Bronco which are the same size as an X so there will be no cutting!

Sweet! I think that is definitely the way I am going to go. Thanks. Do you think I could use the same directions as posted here http://www.therangerstation.com/Dana44Swap.html

Explorers and Rangers are pretty much the same aren't they?

yeah that should be about it good luck and post pics!

Has anyone done this swap yet? I have a 76 bronco waiting to donate its axles and tcase to my x.. :) I want to be absolutly positive what I'm doing and goin to run into though before I start tearing things apart (or spend more money on parts I don't need).

If you visit the link above, you can get step by step instructions, and the e-mail of someone who has done the swap. I have been asking him a lot of questions. He has done it on a ranger, but Xs and rangers are very similar.

Back