D44 Knuckle Swap

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Ive looked everywhere, pirate, FSB, here, Mr.N's page, everywhere. I must be blind or something, but Im tired and give up. Can someone tell me what kinds of knuckles swap onto a 66-77 Bronco d44. Im pretty sure the TTB knuckles will not work. Oh, and im lookin for disk brake knuckles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any dana 44 solid axle knuckle. I am using chevy knuckls on a jeep axle. I think you are blind :D The big difference is the ford disk brake knuckles use a different bolt pattern from the chjevy knuckles. Scouts also hae a different boltpattern. However they will all fit the other axles as long as you have the proper spindles and other parts needed.

Thank you, thats what I tought but before I got anything I wanted to make sure, now i can keep my sanity. Sorta.

im going to be using chevy knuckles on my 78 bronco d44 but you have to pay attention to the knuckle because disk brake knuckles and drum brake knuckles can be different. Mr.Ns page is super complete so I dont know how you could miss the info you need. even a good amount of d44 TTB knuckles will work. It specifies it on Mr. Ns page what year TTB knuckles work. but the ball joint attactchement points are the same on all solid axle d44s, so they will all bolt on, but like rock ranger said, you have to rework spindle/hub/stub shaft ptterns to get to your desired bolt pattern...

You dont have to change the knuckles.

The knuckle out disc swap you are referring too is were you get everything from the knuckles out off of a fullsize Ford D44. This works okay, but the steering arms are way way lower on the truck/big bronco knuckle than they are on the early bronco drum brake knuckle. Keep the EB knuckles, and go find-

A set of fullsize Ford D44 hubs and rotors

A set of Chevy D44 spindles, calipers, and caliper brackets

This will get you a really nice disc setup and you wont have to swap knuckles.

Well im looking to keep the 5 on 5.5 pattern, so im not looking to switch makes. Ill keep my eyes out for an early f150/250 with a solid d44, but what ttb44 knuckles work? I have a pair of bronco outers for almost free if I want them, will they work?

Doing what i said will keep it 5 on 5.5. Go back and re-read what i posted. :) That is the standard disc swap kit for Early Bronco's.

oh, you acually posted that as I was typing my post so I never saw it, thanks for the info. I though I had read that the calipers wont clear on the drum brake knuckles, but hey this works. Im assuming I would then have to upgrade to the f150 stubs to clear the chevy spindles and f150 rotors?

Yes, get the whatever-79 F150 hubs and rotors, and use the chevy calipers, chevy spindles, and chevy caliper brackets. You can run the stock EB axleshafts. You will need to grind a little bit on the knuckle to get the calipers to fit, but its not big deal you dont grind much.

Back