• Register Today It's free!

D44 sas?

Zenshu

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport 4x4
Ok so here is the deal, I am wanting to do a SAS on my '93 sport but I am not sure what type of old model trucks used the Dana 44 I need to replace the Stock 35. Any help from some of the more knowledgeable members?...Also anyone know what gears the Stock '93 Sport 4x4 5spd is running? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before they chime in, don't bite on the claims that a D44 isn't worth the swap. It's not 100x better, but it does offer significant benefits over the D35 you have at a much better cost than a D60 swap because you can use the Bronco/F100 radius arms and such with a D44 while that's not the case on the D60.

Good luck. Early ('66 - '77) Broncos had a D44 similar to stock Explorer width, but '78 - '79 Broncos had stronger joints and shafts, with the difference of being 6" wider.

I'll add to that the 60 may be harder to find ( didn't seem to be as prevalent when I was looking). My set the D44 and the 9in with all the radius arms, coils, coil buckets, and steering linkages was $500.
I'm doing all the grunt work, tear down and grinding and cutting, and I'll have the welding done ( about $50).

I scored my D44 and all front end parts for $150. That's after I decided a D60 would be too much drama and sold mine.

To know your gear ratio you need to look for your axle code on the driver door and on the main page here "Home" there is a link that is "explorer specifications" and has the axle codes to tell you what you're running stock. And the Early bronco's like said is the same width or get a one from a 70's F-150/bronco and have it narrowed unless you want full width.

Thanks for the info guys, looks like I won't be finding out what gear ratio I am running for another weeks or so since I won't be out of Iraq until early-mid April. This has been Very Helpful, as soon as I get back to TX I am going to go dumpster diving for rundown old 78 or 79 Broncos, might do a front and rear axle swap while I am already in there.

Back