d44/t-case question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

d44/t-case question

i just got a free d44, passenger drop, narrow width, 6lug, missing the drivers axle shaft and needs new everything.
is there any way to flip the axle tubes around and make it a drivers drop? or does that not work?
if not, is there a t-case that could work?

or should i just try and sell it and try to get a drivers drop d44?

flipping the axle wont work. If you flip it, the tires on that front axle will want to push the vehicle backwards while the rear axle is pushing forward (the ring gear is basically moved to the other side of the pinion while the pinion is rotating in the same direction).

You can probably make it work with a passenger-side t-case but that t-case will probably have to be a custom one - like an Atlas or something - which means big money. I'd sell it and find a D44 drive'rs side - they are not that hard to find.

i meant by physically switching the driver and passenger axle tubes/shafts. not by flipping the pumkin over at all.
Yeah that would work but retubing is not easy since alignment of both tubes is critical. And this is alignment in two dimensions so you have to be extra careful about the effects of heat during welding. Again, I would just sell it because I don't even want to think of how many sledgehammer blows its going to take to pull just one tube out from the housing. For $200 or so, you can probably find a good driver's side D44 that's ready to rebuild.

yea, it needs to be done over completely. so i think if i just find a take-out d44 that was running. my friend had this in his driveway and it looked like a driver drop cause i didnt realize it was unsidedown lol, so he said take it for free

i could always go for zukmans built up ttb d35 when he sells it..... just an idea if i have the money for it..

Back