• Register Today It's free!

D44 will it work?

jumpn4jesus

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4x4 Explorer XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it COULD work but: you'd have to fab new front susp. (control arms or leafs, new steering etc.) the wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 5.5 not 5 on 4.5 like you have, it is wider than your rear 8.8 so you'd have to swap it with a 9" or similar. But anything is possible :) I am getting ready to swap in a jeep tj dana 30 into mine, same bolt pattern and you can make most premade control arm setups work, im using a long arm setup. Plus you can get them for free all the time (at least here in Utah where everyone ditches the D30's for 44's or 60's!) Anyway good luck!

if the rotors in that picture are new I'm a Freakin walrus.

hehe

Yea its not really that hard but of course will require a bit of fabrication skills, Alot of people on this site have done it before http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

And Splorin theres a reason why jeep owners ditch the dana 30 ;) If your gonna spend all that time and effort doing an SAS you might as well go stronger not weaker. DANA 35 > DANA30

And Splorin theres a reason why jeep owners ditch the dana 30 ;) If your gonna spend all that time and effort doing an SAS you might as well go stronger not weaker. DANA 35 > DANA30

Agreed! The D30's are NOT good.

Well, if it's not a direct "swap" I won't get into it just yet. I start college on the 15th of September at UTI. So after I graduate from there. Maybe I will have the balls to tackle some Fabable stuff.

thanks guys!:thumbsup::D:salute:

Yea its not really that hard but of course will require a bit of fabrication skills, Alot of people on this site have done it before http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Yea but a D30 with chromo shafts, 4.56 gears and an ARB for 200 bucks is way better than anything you could do with the p.o.s. ttb for the same price.

Yea but a D30 with chromo shafts, 4.56 gears and an ARB for 200 bucks is way better than anything you could do with the p.o.s. ttb for the same price.

I'd much rather bust a shaft than strip a ring & pinion. :rolleyes:

What thats crazy talk! I'd so much rather strip the teeth clean off the pinion then mess with a shaft, I mean you have to take that heavy tire off and ugghh im getting tired just thinking about it. And plus its not like you have to set everything back up again:confused:

I'm not sure how and where you guys drive but with the exception of 1 new rubicon, all of the rigs in my group of buddies (XJ's, and TJ's all on 35's) still have the stock D30's. I live just over 4 hours from Moab so we are there quite often and while yes we have had one broken shaft i've never seen someone strip a r&p. It's all about where you are and how you drive and in moab ttb is worthless.

Well an explorer weighs about a good 2000lbs more than a TJ. Need I say more?

Yep, Jeep's much lighter.

The HP D35 is easily 95% of a D44's strength. The D30 will never be.

I want to go to Moab someday. I highly doubt my "worthless" TTB will present any problems whatsoever there ;)

Isn't the "pumpkin" on a jeep dana 30 on the wrong side for a swap... I could be wrong.

Back