Daemon's Project: Ford 9" rear end. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Daemon's Project: Ford 9" rear end.

I started my 9" project last week wednesday. This was an easy project but I took my time on it. It should be done this week and tested soon.

Parts:
-narrowed 1979 Ford 9" by 3 inches on both sides.
-5.13 gears and a detroit locker.
-Dutchman alloy axles
-TSM disk brake conversion using front chevy calipers (no parking brakes)

The 8.8 taken out and 9" placed under the explorer
2199Project_9_0091.jpg

closer view, axle's pinion angle at 20 degrees.
2199Project_9_005.jpg

tire mounted
2199Project_9_011.jpg

this is how it sits right now.
2199Project_9_012.jpg

I need some shock tabs installed and the drive shaft flanged end replaced with a 1330 yoke. More pics and updates in a couple days. :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very Nice!! :thumbsup:

Is the TSM disc kit bolt on? If you don't mind, what do they run?

Good luck with the rest!!! :)

Thank you! They are bolt on and the price is $295 at broncograveyard.com. This don't include the calipers or outer brake hoses.

For my own learning process, what is the benefit of a 9" Is it axle spline, durability? I know the gear ratio is different from an 8.8 but 4:10 to 4:11 or otherwise. Im sure this is a good idea but I just dont know why.

the 9" doesnt use a c-clip design like the 8.8"
also the unit is more durable.. the 8.8 is close to the 9, but the 9 is stronger and uses a removeable 3rd member/carrier

Ok thanks, I forgot to think that the 9" carrier was removable.

jimabena74 said:
the 9" doesnt use a c-clip design like the 8.8"
also the unit is more durable.. the 8.8 is close to the 9, but the 9 is stronger and uses a removeable 3rd member/carrier

and I had a good deal also, the 3rd was already set-up with 5.13's and detroit. To put the same gears and a locker would have cost me more with the 8.8. ;)

-=DaemoN=- said:
and I had a good deal also, the 3rd was already set-up with 5.13's and detroit. To put the same gears and a locker would have cost me more with the 8.8. ;)
Did you get that off eBay? That is exactly how I bought mine.

Robb said:
Did you get that off eBay? That is exactly how I bought mine.

No, it was a local purchase.

Stainless Steel Brake Corporation has a disc conversion kit for the Ford 9" axle but I'm not sure of it's price. BTW, nice install, looks great.

redrig said:
For my own learning process, what is the benefit of a 9" Is it axle spline, durability? I know the gear ratio is different from an 8.8 but 4:10 to 4:11 or otherwise. Im sure this is a good idea but I just dont know why.
Also, the 9" will (usually) be 5 on 5.5 lug pattern and will match alot of front axles these guys are using for SAS's. Usually it can be cheaper to just build a 9" vs. changing the 8.8 to 5 on 5.5 lug pattern.

I bet it was soooo nice to have that lift at your disposal....lookin tuff! :smoke:

Yeah definately looking GOOD! Looking at the pictures from the rear, the rear sits higher than the front? Or is it just the angle of that last picture?

Joey P- the rear does sit a little higher. :)

V8BoatBuilder- It's welded, the last 2 pics doesn't really show it. ;)

DB_1 said:
I bet it was soooo nice to have that lift at your disposal....lookin tuff! :smoke:

Yes, it makes the job a lot easier. This is at our base Hobby Shop, three bucks an hour to rent it or $30 for the whole day. The only thing I wish they have is a welder. The welding room is across the building, where my vehicle is at on the last 2 pics. Still a good deal. :thumbsup:

Brian1 said:
Looking good! So will it be ready to wheel when you get back to ABQ?

It will be ready to wheel by this weekend. It should be ready for the long trip to ABQ with some new shoes (37's). ;)

IT'S DONE!

I finally finished it today. Time to test it out this weekend. :bounce:

shock mounts welded on top of the housing...

2199Project_9_013.jpg

driveshaft with 1330 yoke end.

2199Project_9_015.jpg

:chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks awesome! Very clean. Are there any links to control axle wrap?

Back