daily driver 2wd to 4wd, auto to stick | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

daily driver 2wd to 4wd, auto to stick

ok i got a 91 2wd with an auto, i love the truck, but i want a stick and 4wd. i am lookin to do the conversion for both. i want to do it in two parts though, so the truck isnt down for too long at any one time.

stage one:
auto out, manual trans and tcase installed

(my biggest concern is will there be any damage to the tcase by not have the front drive train connected?)

stage two:
front axle installed and front driveline connected.

i want the truck to be driveable between the two stages. i figure if i break into seperate stages i can be down for say a week, then maybe a few months down the road, do the second stage.

please tell me of any problems or concerns with doing it this way

oh ya, this thread prolly wont be updated on a daily basis, im estimating a good 6 months before the project gets underway. but will post a thorough writeup as it gets goin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can do this in two Stages like you want. I was able to drive my Explorer with out a front Axle and a t-case. Now the Swaping from Auto to manual you might want to find a 5-speed 91 to get the computer and stuff. If you need help sorceing parts I can help. I have access to a Yard only 125 miles from you.

hey kris, where is that yard located at? i have never had good luck in finding one that had any kind of selection of explorers. i was thinkin of gettin a complete donor vehicle with the 5 speed and manual tcase, that way i have all the parts that i would need for both the auto to manual and 2wd to 4wd conversion

The Yard is in Victoria, Tx But I know they dont have a complete donor. Your Going to be better off getting it part by part, because the odds of you finding a Manual Tranny 4x4 Explorer with a manual T-case are pretty slim to none.

But as far as getting Pedals, steering collum, and Computers I might can help you out.

now that i think about this i just might have like 20 "stages". i might have to get ya to help me out on the pedals kris, which i think will be my first step, and from what ive been reading the most complicated. ill be out of town for the next week, but will let ya know on those parts.

im not any real rush right now, because i now have a place to store the parts out of my parents sight (they are gettin tired of the look of axles, engines, trailers, and some other "toys" layin around the yard) :)

Originally posted by tac0meat
im not any real rush right now, because i now have a place to store the parts out of my parents sight (they are gettin tired of the look of axles, engines, trailers, and some other "toys" layin around the yard) :)

I wish I had a place like that. Just like the other day I brought home a front and rear axle and put them in the back yard.

ok so far ive tracked down a manual shift 13-54 tcase, and im planning on purchasing a rebuilt 5speed, so ill have a warranty on it. right now my concern is how to mount the transfer case. does it have a crossmember that holds it in place or is it more of an attatchment on the rear of the transmission? unfortunately i dont have a reference vehicle, and im afraid ill get shot if i crawl underneath one at the mall parkin lot :)

The T-case does not have its own Crossmember. once you bolt in the Transmission the T-case bolts directly to it. You will need to get a new rear drive shaft

did your transfer case come with all the linkage? if it didn't then you can go the route i did. i purchased the shifting linkage from an older model ranger and got all necessary hardware for it to mount up. this way was way cheaper then buying an explorer linkage from ford. just finished it yesterday and it works very well. and kris is right, no crossmember.

i dont beleive the tcase is coming with the linkage. i will definately check out gettin from a ranger (which ive found more plentiful at junkyards than explorers)

there is definately an adundance of those vehicles at the junkyards. just make sure you get the little bushing, and the shank bolt so you can have a complete setup. i had to have another member from this board get it for me. any other questions just let me know.

well, looks like im gonna have to hold off a bit on the trans swap. my auto went out (unexpectidely of course) and since its a daily driver (i have no other means of transportation) i had to get it fixed, so there went a grand, that i dont have, but that gives me a year to get things together since i got a one year of warranty on the new trans. as long as my engine can last that long ill be ok hopefully

You want the cheapest easiest solution???? Buy a 1st gen 4x4 5 speed and then sell yours. Will be much cheaper and easier in the long run.

Originally posted by DasFrem
You want the cheapest easiest solution???? Buy a 1st gen 4x4 5 speed and then sell yours. Will be much cheaper and easier in the long run.
i totally agree.... i did the swap in my 2nd gen. most of my driveline is 1st gen now, but damn it wasn;'t fun man i was down for about a month

alot of people tell me that, and economically i prolly should do that, but my ex has alot of setimental value to me, i grew up with it, lots of memories, and when i turned 17 a few years ago it finally became mine. everybody knows ill keep it till death does us part :)

its kinda funny cuz i have to agree with you there too cuz when i was 17 my mom pretty much totalled it, she said if i fixed it, it was mine... it took me about 11 months but i completey rebuilt this eX from having the frame pulled to all new fenders and core support and whatnot... so i know how the sentimental thing goes man

Back