• Register Today It's free!

Dam thing wont start

rick_ca

Reaction score
City, State
Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 eddie
Here’s what happening I own a used 95 Explorer EB and a few weeks back it wouldn’t start heard single click from engine compartment so charged battery overnight and it started ok, recently it same thing happened so charged battery again this time it wouldn’t start after overnight charge so had it towed to a mechanic dam thing started every time he went out to it over a 2 week period (it was left outside -10 to -20), I picked it up and drove it home pulled it into the garage (unheated) then 2 days later went to go out in it and it wouldn’t turn over again and again all I heard was single click from starter relay. So I’ve been on here going through starter post’s etcetc and have cleaned all cable connections, recharged the battery ( again single click) I did notice that if I turned key off/on repeatedly it would try to turn over. Now I am thinking it’s the battery not have cranking amps but good voltage but want a few opinions, I’m ready to pull the starter but if someone has experienced same situation let me know what your finding were.
Thanks in Advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the starter cranks fine when the battery is fully charged then you have a problem with the battery.. It could be something simple like the battery is old and no longer has the AMPs to power the starter.. Or you could have some parasitic drain on the system that slowly kills the battery causing your no-start conditions..

Battery cables may also look perfectly fine and be wasted on the inside of the insulation. If memory serves me correctly, and a search will verify it, the negative cable is usually the culprit.

Here’s what happening I own a used 95 Explorer EB and a few weeks back it wouldn’t start heard single click from engine compartment so charged battery overnight and it started ok, recently it same thing happened so charged battery again this time it wouldn’t start after overnight charge so had it towed to a mechanic dam thing started every time he went out to it over a 2 week period (it was left outside -10 to -20), I picked it up and drove it home pulled it into the garage (unheated) then 2 days later went to go out in it and it wouldn’t turn over again and again all I heard was single click from starter relay. So I’ve been on here going through starter post’s etcetc and have cleaned all cable connections, recharged the battery ( again single click) I did notice that if I turned key off/on repeatedly it would try to turn over. Now I am thinking it’s the battery not have cranking amps but good voltage but want a few opinions, I’m ready to pull the starter but if someone has experienced same situation let me know what your finding were.
Thanks in Advance

The single click is the fender mounted starter relay, I'll assume it is ok.

Load test the battery first. Then check the resistance on your cables negative battery terminal post with the battery disconnected to the starter transmission bolt (-) terminal. It should be quite close to 0 ohms(true short circuit). If you see too much resistance here the cable could be a problem.

In my opinion, being a 95 and all, I say the starter is toast. I replaced the one on my 96 recently. It failed because the external braided brush terminal turned to dust on account of corrosion. Yours may be connected by one strand waiting to fail completely.

Also, the key on key off bit could be pushing a dying internal stater solenoid on its last leg.

96eb96 is correct.. After reading his post I re-read the 1st post and missed a few key points (ie starter not working after a full charge).. :(

The single click is the fender mounted starter relay, I'll assume it is ok.

Load test the battery first. Then check the resistance on your cables negative battery terminal post with the battery disconnected to the starter transmission bolt (-) terminal. It should be quite close to 0 ohms(true short circuit). If you see too much resistance here the cable could be a problem.

In my opinion, being a 95 and all, I say the starter is toast. I replaced the one on my 96 recently. It failed because the external braided brush terminal turned to dust on account of corrosion. Yours may be connected by one strand waiting to fail completely.

Also, the key on key off bit could be pushing a dying internal stater solenoid on its last leg.

Ive tried local store they dont have a starter in stock at moment have tried local wreckers they dont have any from a 95 explorer so im wondering if there are any other ford models I can ask for at wreckers that starter is a direct replacement

Ive tried local store they dont have a starter in stock at moment have tried local wreckers they dont have any from a 95 explorer so im wondering if there are any other ford models I can ask for at wreckers that starter is a direct replacement

FORD back to top
1990 - 1996 AEROSTAR

1990 - 1996 RANGER
1991 - 1996 EXPLORER

MAZDA back to top
1994 - 1997 B4000

1991 - 1994 NAVAJO

Update so spent a few hours taking starter motor out (many thanks to the design engineer that put the top bolt in such an awkward position) I was planning on checking wires on top of starter solenoid as I wasn’t able to check them before (big hands here). When I dropped starter down low and behold I found the cable from starter relay to starter solenoid almost corroded all the way through guess that accounts for the intermittent start. So I’m of to Local auto parts store to get new cable as I know starter is good I benched tested it plus now I have a spare also from the wreckers which is good to have also. BTW anyone know correct length of cable to get from starter relay to solenoid its -19c here and i'm warming up from pulling starter out LOL but will measure after a few hrs LOL. :thumbsup:

UpDate of the UpDate LOL
Crimped a new lug on the battery wire at starter motor wire was in good shape it was the lug that corroded thru, put everything back together Hands up all those who like me felt that puting top bolt in was a bigger PIA than taking it out LOL. Fired Up 1st go Im a Happy camper now :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::ca:

Back