• Register Today It's free!

Damarble's resurrected 88 BII

damarble

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
21 Bronco & 88 Bronco II
So I've heard this was a somewhat famous rig on broncoii.org back in the day. I picked it up in October last year in southwest WA from the builder and immediately stopped at Elbe before heading home. It's geared a little high compared to my 21 but it got around great and was a riot.

It has a 4.0/M5OD, Explorer axles with Aussie lockers and 4.56 gears. Came with a non-installed doubler as well.

So I got it home and immediately hacked the fenders to run these massive Badak tires. They are sold as a 35 but they are 4" taller than the 34s that were on it (see pic, along with a 40). The long term goal is 40s on Super Duty 1 tons with 5.38 gears and e-lockers, which I'm building now.

Last pic is kind of my goal.

PXL_20221029_011051595.jpg PXL_20221029_173327218.jpg PXL_20221119_233352029.jpg PXL_20230119_231621107.jpg PXL_20221119_210007752.jpg 315645043_5601505996598047_7041214918195654651_n.jpg Screenshot 2023-02-20 144451.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 5 speed BII AWESOME
any lockers in the old axles? The old diffs with 4.56 would be awesome to have

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 5 speed BII AWESOME
any lockers in the old axles? The old diffs with 4.56 would be awesome to have
Aussies in both. I figure someone will give them a good home when I'm done.

definitely sharp rig!

Bronco iis are so Much fun to drive and can be very capable on the trail! Cheap to own and operate and tough as nails. I have had to do a few frame repairs in the last few years as all the twisting had caused some cracks to appear. But overall she has held up so well, I mean I have been driving my 88 for like 25 years now including all winters with salt and mag clor on the roads… still just keeps on keeping on

Looking forward to seeing more of this truck!

Bronco iis are so Much fun to drive
I agree. Also since it is a trail-only rig it added a whole nother element I've never had, not worrying about body damage. I haven't got any yet, but being able to hammer down on muddy rocks and roots inches from a tree was fun. I was with a buddy in a new Bronco and there was one obstacle it took him over 30 minutes because he was worried about sliding into a tree. I hammered down and was through it before he could get the camera turned on me.

I got some seats from a Can-Am SxS mounted last night, will have to get a pic. I've gutted nearly the whole interior because it was very damp and musty. I want to get rid of the dash too at some point and have a simple flat metal panel. Do you know if second gen BII/Ranger gauges will plug into my harness and work?

No they will not work (gen ii gauges) the ohms sent to the gauges changed in 91 not even the fuel level sender is same

I run autometer gauges
Ditched the speedo cable years ago and just run a gps or electronic speedo
The tach might work,
Coolant might and oil pressure
Might? I run mechanical
The 88 dash is already simple ;)
I modified the stock dash pot heavily to accept autometer 5” speedo and tach input the brights and od/on off indicator into the factory 88 center dash warning bulb array

Watch the floor pans under footwells they like to crack longways allowing water in
Rear windows like to leak over time, easy enough to remove them and re seal, I made
Mine removable but have never really taken them out. Also I converted my tailgate to use lift up glass so I could take that off too but anytime I drove w back glass open exhaust fumes were not even tolerable that was with my exhaust exiting out the rear, now I have it dumped to the ground before rear axle

Thanks @410Fortune. The gauge style doesn't matter a whole lot, I just have a soft spot for gen 2 gauges. Function is ultimately more important. I might just find the missing dash trim from the junkyard and spray bomb the whole thing black, I'm not a fan of tan and faux wood.

There's what appears to be liquid nails left behind on the floor after tearing out the carpet. Once the weather improves I'm going to scrape it clean and lay down bedliner inside. As a western truck it's mostly rust free, but I'll have to check for those cracks.

they also made a silver dash bezel
The faux wood kinda grows on you over time, but their idea of "tan" in 1988 was more orange
My interior has been swapped over to "mocha" color from a 90 BII and lots of vinyl paint on other parts I could not source
I run 01 Eddie heated seats, so I matched that "mocha" color............. way better then 88 Eddie bauer "orange"

You are more than welcome! Thank you for sharing your rides!

SxS seats. They fit the B2 sliders with a small adapter.

PXL_20230224_000726022.jpg

I also added two gen II overhead grab handles to the A and B pillars.
I use Explorer vanity sun visors with the side deflectors
very nice upgrades when four wheeling!

I deleted my rear wiper, defrost, power locks and windows years ago, really lightened up the doors and less complicated the wiring. The power door wiring harness actually travels around the radiator support under the headlights.......with those old 88 connectors, well it was a mess, happy to see it go.

Bronco II likes to melt the plastic wiring connector at the multifunction switch, less since I switched to led headlights
Also the intermittent wiper delay box is solid state and discontinued (easy to find under dash audible click when wipers on)
I grabbed several of these wear items from the yards because I want to keep her forever

power locks and windows
On my list for deletion since they only half work now. I picked up a couple manual doors, going to transfer the guts into these then cut those down to half doors.

I think I have a set of explorer visors around still, looks like they're getting used now.

Last night I hopped in the old girl for the first time in the dark and found I have no headlights. Hmmm. Hopefully it's just a fuse. Won't have time to dig in until tomorrow.

I'm not entire sure what fuse is for the headlights but they're all good. My high beams do work. But no low beams, no instrument illumination, and no tails.

Check connector at the multi function switch like I was saying they like to
Melt them

Could Also be headlight switch but less common like i’ve melted 4-5 of the plugs whereas I am only on My Second headlight switch

350k+ miles now

Not much happening on the B2 front, but my steering wheel came in. It's a cheapie but will be much more pleasant than the nasty stock one in it now. Still waiting on my adapter hub though.

PXL_20230304_034017211.jpg

hey now I love my little 1988 steering wheel!! HAHAHAHA actually I was going to swap it for a 06 Ranger wheel....nope not gonna happen ranger wheel much bigger around
Should be a nice upgrade, does it have a horn button middle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back