Dammit Rick! I bought another one! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dammit Rick! I bought another one!

This is all @Rick fault. I bought another Explorer today, but before you all jump to conclusions and calling me Zukman ( :p ), here me out...

Why did I buy Another Explorer? Well I as some you may know, I ordered a 2019 Ranger, but it will not be here for a few months and I need to dump my Focus ST, but I still need a DD in between. So what do I do? Buy a cheap reliable truck that I know well.

Now the fun part, look at what I found.:D

1997 Ford Explorer XL 2wd
4.0 OHV
5-Speed Manual (yes a 4dr Manual)
3.27 gears
A/C

No really that's it. It super bare bones, Manual Everything! Manual Windows, Manual Mirrors, Manual Door Locks. Vinyl Seats. Runs really smooth:thumbsup:

It's in crazy good condition, super clean in and out. Has a few minor thing to fix, but nothing crazy.

Will be available for sale in 6 months or less if anyone is interested.

full&d=1537141593.jpg

full&d=1537250321.jpg

full&d=1537250321.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still say its intake gaskets :)
With the upper plenum off its really easy to fix any broken vacuum lines
Staying tuned

Well guess who came back this morning. It's happening at higher RPM's every time. It always goes off when I'm on the freeway with load, going up a hill. It's actually almost predictable at this point. I'm hoping it's not the cat.:frown:

I'm going to have to run some tests and see what the fuel trims and the O2 are doing.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I just saw this thread. No one will call you Zukman because most of your stuff runs. Well, maybe 50% runs. OK, Son of Zukman….

If I had more room that wasn't in view of the house, I would have purchased a few more first gen's for parts just because. Maybe I could talk my mom into letting me store a couple in her RV garage.....Hmmmmm

Back to full 100% now:D

finally looked at the fuel trims.

Short term is, single +/- 3 to 4
Long term is flat + 26%

Bring up the RPM, and long terms go down and short terms go up.

So that confirms I have a Vacuum leak still. Just need to build a smoke machine , or run over to pep boys for $30 and have them run it. I tried the propane trick with no luck.

I should be able to solve it from there.

Well it was a good truck, but time to move on. I sold to a guy that was going to take care of it, and may even show up on here:D

SuperDuty and maybe JP will be reinstated to DD duty for a few weeks now:salute:

My original explorer that brought me here in 2010, was an XL model first gen that had 3.27 gears and a 5 speed. Before I got rid of it I had new heads and headers and I nailed up to 25mpg once. I wish I still had the proof, but I wouldn't lie about something like that. I thought it was a fluke, but then I backed it up with a 23 or 24mpg. I got rid of it because I needed 4wd.

I still say its intake gaskets :)
With the upper plenum off its really easy to fix any broken vacuum lines
Staying tuned

Well the guy that bought the truck messaged me a update and said he got the check engine light, which I told it would come on and the problem was a vacuum leak. He had the issue fixed and confirmed ......intake gasket @410Fortune :bow:

....that and a vacuum leak to the HVAC.

But the truck lives on happily with it's new owner:thumbsup:

You're gonna need a bigger yard
Nah...it will be gone in a few months, at worst. I have 4 plus the pop up now, and if I pack them all in, I could probably get 4 more in the yard. Not that that's going to happen. I still have another 1st gen sport at my dad's that needs to go to the crusher after I pull a few more things off it.

Is this going to be a first car for your daughter, or am I still a bit early on that ;)

Is this going to be a first car for your daughter, or am I still a bit early on that ;)

No the SOHC motor I put in the Navajo, has developed a head gasket leak. So I bought this for super cheap with a good running motor.( No title and $800+ in back fees ) I can just swap the motor and part out the rest. . Rebuild the other motor when I have a chance.

It does all fit in there. I have nearly run out of room with the RV, the boat, Explorer, Infinity and my Silverado. I could remove a low wall/seating area in the backyard to get a few more vehicles back there, but someone in the house is not agreeable to that. I do have just enough garage space for a nice used Porsche 997. When the right one comes along, I will have a full garage.

I could knock down walls for more room, but someone else wasn't on board with that either.

Anyway more pics before I start ripping it apart.

Got her up to operating temp, and runs smooth. No codes.

20210404_120011.jpg

20210404_120028.jpg

20210404_115900.jpg

20210404_115836.jpg

Wish you lived a little closer, I always liked stripping cars.

So it this a good gap? .096😲 I don't think they have ever been changed.

20210404_181743.jpg

Plenty of meat left. The giant spark helps cold starting.

Does the oil look like mud? The previous owner(s) was not a fan of maintenance.

Does the oil look like mud? The previous owner(s) was not a fan of maintenance.
I have not drained it yet, but it's pretty dark. Not milky or muddy from what I can see. Maybe I should pull the pan when I take it out.

I did receive something interesting in the mail today however. The guy I bought it from sent me a bunch of paperwork he had from the previous owner. (He had traded it for some work he did) Included was an invoice from 2014 where the trans was rebuilt, and they replaced the rear main on the motor. So that puts the trans at about 50k on the rebuild, which should make it more valuable when I go to sell it. 😉 I have no use for a 2wd trans.

Alright so, oil changed, spark plugs changed she runs much better, but still have a code. But I know why the code is there.

When I got the truck, I noticed the passenger headlight was out. Figured, meh bulb burned out, don't care. After working on the truck and going to check the air filter, I discovered I was invading someone's house...🐀. Thing was straight out a nest, pretty nasty. That's when I noticed the lack of wiring going to the headlight anymore.

This brings me to my code. The code is for a coolant temperature sensor, which also now lacks a connection. 🙄

My question is, do I fix it now? Or just call it good and yank the motor and fix it on the stand, which would be easier?

Additionally I hear no chain rattle at all in this motor.

Back