• Register Today It's free!

damn boot

ezeedee

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
so i was doing a 200k mile tune up on the explorer, and i cant get one of the spark plug wires off. its the very back one on the passenger side. anyone know the trick to this thing? ive already pulled the wire out of the boot (oops).

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

worse case scenerio couldn't you just hack it up/burn it?

Try going thru the fender flares if your already. If you can get your hands around the plug boot thru the flares, try twisting it with your hand back & forth.

ok, got it out guys. thanks. i had to reach up through the wheel well (tried it before i posted here too) and just pulled and pulled until i thought my arm was gonna snap, then pulled some more and ripped the boot right off, then had to get the metal part that slips in the boot and goes around the plug, off since it stayed on the plug, then it was easy.

i dont wanna make a new thread, but how do i get the fuel filter off? everything is smooth and the new one doesnt have threads or anything on it, how does it come off? thanks.

and where is the pcv valve at?

edit: nevermind about the fuel filter, i guess i gotta go pick up the tool. searching works wonders!

PCV valve is on the valve cover (near the rear), its the hose that connects to the valve cover and intake. Umm... make sure you get the one where there is only 1 connecting point, or check your pcv before u go and buy one before you know its the right one. I went to Canadian Tire and looked the part up in their book and it ended up not being able to fit my truck, because it had the 2 connectors instead of just one. The hose isn't long enough or flexible enough or whatever to fit the one with 2 connectors, has to be the one with one connector. :) and Yeah, you don't NEED the special tool for fuel line (you do if you dont want to start breaking stuff) lol. I did mine by prying the lines off with a screwdriver lol, I broke the clips inside the line and ended costing me 8$ a piece for each clip =(

PCV valve is on the valve cover (near the rear), its the hose that connects to the valve cover and intake. Umm... make sure you get the one where there is only 1 connecting point, or check your pcv before u go and buy one before you know its the right one. I went to Canadian Tire and looked the part up in their book and it ended up not being able to fit my truck, because it had the 2 connectors instead of just one. The hose isn't long enough or flexible enough or whatever to fit the one with 2 connectors, has to be the one with one connector. :) and Yeah, you don't NEED the special tool for fuel line (you do if you dont want to start breaking stuff) lol. I did mine by prying the lines off with a screwdriver lol, I broke the clips inside the line and ended costing me 8$ a piece for each clip =(

well ****, i bought the pcv with 2 connections.

and i got the tool for the fuel line and broke it before i could get the filter off. today has not been a good day.

whew, busy day. changed the oil, flushed the coolant, replaced the plugs and wires, new wiper blades, seafoamed the engine, new serpentine belt, i think thats it.

still gotta do u joints and a fuel filter whenever i get another day off.

i cant wait to get some more money. i wanna lift this beast so bad.

Back