• Register Today It's free!

Damn seat belt

Ty Webb

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Cod
Year, Model & Trim Level
96XLT
So I get in my 96 explorer to day and go to plug in the seat belt....WTF. The spring in the press release button (female end) is broken. Any one heard of this happening? Granted the car has 158xxx on it...but of all things, I wasn't expecting the seat belt to break.

My choices

1.Carry around a pocket knife and manually fix it everytime I get in (this only takes a second)

2. Buy a new one (this is the route i am leaning towards) Anyone know where I can pick this piece up for less than $50. That seems to be the going rate at the dealers around boston.

Next, If i do decide to change it ......how do I change out the seat belt sensor wire that goes into the locking mechanism?

Thanks (and no I cant swap it with the passenger side...already tried)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just grab one from the wreckers i think i paid 10 bucks for the one in my bronco

You should be able to pick one out of a junkyard for less than $10.

Just thank GOD it broke now rather than
when you really needed it, if you know what I mean.

There is a junk yard in Candia NH that has a bunch of rolled Exp's. I don't remember there name but i go there all of the time. Give me an email if you are intrested. agallant80@yahoo.com

-AG

Back